A Good Yarn

Friday, July 14, 2006

More yarn

Oh my gosh! I have so much to blog about, but the days are rushing past me like a bullet train! I can't believe it's already mid-July. Why does summer have to rush by so quickly? I won't post one giant monster post, but hopefully I'll be able to post pretty consistently and get caught up with all my thoughts I've wanted to get down.

On the way back from Sioux Falls, I stopped by The Tangled Skein in St. Peter. I had never been to this shop before, but it'll be a regular stop when I'm in the area. It's a very nice store in a big old building, with wood floors and high ceilings. They were very friendly when I stopped in and had a great selection of yarn. I had to support them, so I picked up a few things.



Some Lorna's Laces in a beautiful chocolate brown. I know, the last thing I need is more sock yarn, but it's such a beautiful color and I hadn't seen anything like it before. It's called Charcoal, so I guess it's really dark gray, but it looks brown to me. In any case, it'll make a nice pair of masculine socks.



6 skeins of Karaoke soy silk/wool blend. I'm in love with this yarn - love the feel of it, love the pretty colors. I'm planning a small child's sweater or something like that. I could try a felted bag, though. We'll see how I feel.



I also bought one skein of this colorway just because I liked it so much. This will be a hat.

Last Thursday was my brother's birthday, so the kids and I took him out to dinner. He chose NBA City again. My brother hates getting his photo taken, so here we are a few years ago:



As you can see from the side of the picture, it was November, 1974. You could probably figure out it was the 70s even without that hint by the following clues:

- I'm 6 and my brother is 1
- Those lovely orange curtains
- The little foil Christmas tree - so classy!
- I'm wearing a polyester leisure suit. I promise, I'm not wearing those duds these days.
- The silver bun cover on my head. I'm wearing that in every picture of me from 1972 to 1976. I LOVED that thing. My mom never cut my hair during that period, so I had really, really long straight hair. Which mom almost always put into a bun and covered with that silver thing.

The thing that's still the same about that picture is how much I love my baby brother. As you can see, I had a tight hold on him. When I was a little girl I wanted a baby brother so much! I asked for a brother for my 5th birthday and five days later, Greg was born (I was a very willful child, even then). More than 35 years later and Greg is still my best friend and the most precious thing in the world to me.