A Good Yarn

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Another Guest

I found a gentleman caller waiting for me when I returned to the office yesterday:



Yes, it's Henry Hudson from Yarn Aboard II! He sailed into my port while I was away on holiday, so it was a great delight to find him waiting for me upon my return. As you can see, he's made quite a journey, and was loaded up with quite the cargo!



Here's a closer look at that cargo. We have some lovely sheep soap, straight from the Rhinebeck Wool Festival and some lotion from Bath & Body Works - love that stuff!



And some yummy goodies - an old favorite - some Lindt Truffles, a new favorite - Tootsie Roll Mini Chews, and something new to me - Guylian. I can't wait to try that one out. And there's a cute little chocolate covered gingerbread man:



Some very cute stitch markers - LOVE those little stone Christmas trees:



And the creme de la creme, some Fleece Artist sock yarn in a gorgeous mix of purple, blue and brown:



I tried to take a closer picture of the colors of this skein so you could really admire it, but it's so dang cloudy here they were either washed out from the flash or muddy without a flash. Just trust me, this is a beautiful colorway. I've never used Fleece Artist yarn before, so I'm excited to try it out.

Henry Hudson brought these goodies from Katy over at Knitterpated. Katy, thanks so much for the wonderful boatload of goodies.

I also want to thank Amanda for organizing (and sometimes re-organizing) this fantastic exchange. It's been so much fun to follow all the boxes around and see what fun gifties they carry to each port. I was a bit late to the show and Amanda bent over backwards to make sure I got in on the fun and I really, really appreciate it! I'm going to take Henry on a tour of the Twin Cities and then send him off to what I believe is his last stop.

Besides petting that yarn and eating candy, I also saw this film yesterday:



I really liked it a lot. This film has been out for a long time, so you probably already know what it's about. It's also really complex and hard to describe. It's directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu, who also directed "Amores Perros" and "21 Grams". This film is similar to the previous two in that it combines a few different narrative threads into one film. As you might guess from the title, the film is about the inability of people to communicate - across cultures, within relationships. Like Iñárritu's other works, it's also about family - especially the parent-child relationship and about how one event can effect so many people. The cast is just amazing. Two of the actresses are nominated for Golden Globes (Barraza, who plays a Mexican nanny who makes one life-changing mistake and Kikuchi as a deaf Japanese teenager who desperately wants to fit in and tries to heal her feelings of loneliness and depression after her mother's suicide by acting out sexually). Brad Pitt is also nominated and I was just blown away by his performance. He plays the father of the children the nanny cares for, who is in Morroco with his wife, trying to fix their marriage. This film is appearing on almost every Top Ten list I've seen here at the end of the year, but it's getting very mixed reviews at Rotten Tomatoes. I'd definitely say it's worth seeing.

I also have been meaning to mention the fantastic episode of The Charlie Rose Show I saw last week. He had on the three top Mexican directors: Iñárritu, Alfonso Cuarón (Children of Men) and Guillermo Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth). They had a round table discussion of their films - all three of these films have been popping up all over the place in the Top Ten Lists and Critics Awards. They also talked about their relationship with each other - they are all three very close friends and help each other with their work. That's pretty amazing. I just can't imagine three American directors - like Scorsese, Spielberg and Eastwood - sending each other rough cuts and helping each other out. It was a fascinating conversation. The Charlie Rose Show website says they are upgrading soon and will be offering streams of interviews - if you have a chance to see this one and you're a film lover, I'd highly recommend it.