A Good Yarn

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Stash Enhancement

Tuesday night was rainy as heck and it's getting dark too early to go to the park any more anyway, so we headed over to the Mall of America so that Red and Michael could ride the rides in the Park at Mall of America (formerly known as Camp Snoopy). They are doing major renovations to the park, switching it over to Nickelodeon and adding some new rides. In the mean time, several of the old rides are shut down, so there were only a few of the big rides open for the big kids. Just a warning in case you were thinking about taking your kids out there. The boys were perfectly happy going on the Timberland Twister over and over again.

Last night I had dinner and then saw "Speed the Plow" at the Jungle Theater. It's a David Mamet play about a Hollywood movie executive being lobbied by his best friend at the studio to make a prison film that might be a blockbuster and his temporary secretary/girlfriend to make a film based on a novel about radiation, maybe artsy, but probably not a blockbuster. It's also about power - everyone is trying to get it and keep it, in different ways. It's a good scenario to think about - art or commerce? The Mamet language is as fun to listen to as ever and the three actors all do a fine job with it. It's a pretty dark look at Hollywood and the world, though, and I felt so depressed at the end.

I've been doing pretty well with my vow not to buy more yarn - it's been almost 2 months now. I thought I'd share a couple more skeins that I bought BEFORE the pledge.



This is one of the last skeins that I bought. I was on the west bank for the Fringe Festival and I had about a half hour to kill between shows, so I stopped by Depth of Field, just to browse. Well, I couldn't pass by those gorgeous bright colors. It's Jitterbug in the Mardi Gras colorway.



This beauty is Handmaiden Silk Cashmere 4 Ply. When I bought that Smooshy yarn I threw this in the cart because it sounded delightful and the shipping wasn't going to be any extra, so I might as well make it worth it, right? Besides being so pretty, it's also really soft. Much too nice to make a pair of footies, like I was planning. It'll probably end up as wristers or something like that, that I wear close to my skin.

Labels: ,