A Good Yarn

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!

One things I'm thankful for today, is that I finished my Quidditch Socks:



Project Name: Quidditch Socks
Designer: Lauren Kent
Pattern Source: Charmed Knits
Yarn: Lana Grossa Meilenweit
Yarn Source: The Yarnery
Date Started: 10/10/07
Date Completed: 11/20/07

Comments: These are a Christmas present for my nephew, Michael. He chose the Slytherin colors, but said it was because he likes green and gray, not because he likes Slytherin House. He also said he wanted them to be crew length, not knee-highs, so I shortened the leg length from the pattern. I should have made the green stripes closer together to balance the new shorter length. These are knit toe up and my wonderful friend Deb happened to be with me when I started each sock, so she was nice enough to do Judy's magic cast on for me. The toe looks so great with that technique. Next time I knit toe up socks, I'll have to figure it out for myself. Unless Deb happens to be there and enables me to be helpless again. :-)

With that I have my first knitted Christmas present done, yeay!! And I can cast on something that isn't gray or green, yeay!! I also have a completed pair of socks for this month for the Socks in the Cities KAL, yeay!!! I felt like these socks took me forever to knit, but it was actually just over a month, which is pretty fast for me. Although it made me realize that if I knit one pair of socks a month, it's going to take me a long, long, long time to knit through my sock yarn stash. I should perhaps stop buying sock yarn.

As you could see in that sock picture, it's snowing here! There was actually a light covering of snow on my car when I left the office last night. And it was still snowing later that night when I had to go back to the office to pick up my laptop because I left it sitting on my desk. And when I got up this morning, it was snowing. And yet, there really isn't much accumulated:



The bunny was glad because he's still well camouflaged in the brown leaves and grass and dirt of my back yard. I think the ground is just too warm still, so it's all melting on contact. I like the snow though. It looks lovely falling lightly to the ground and it puts me in the holiday mood.

Another thing I'm thankful for today is that in just over a week, I'll be starting a new job. I'm going to work for the State of Minnesota and I'm really excited. I've been self-employed for almost 15 years, so it's going to be a big lifestyle change. But I think most of the changes will be good. I'm going to have to figure out this blogging thing, because my routine now is on the days when I don't have a meeting or hearing first thing in the morning, I go through my email and return any calls that are urgently required and then blog. Since I have to be at work at 8:00, I'm not going to have any extra time in the morning. I'll be getting off much, much earlier than I work now, though, so I'm guessing I'll just shift a lot of my morning routine to pre-dinner time.

Because another thing I'm thankful for is being part of this blogging community. I just love reading everyone's blogs and feeling like people are genuinely interested in my blog. It's such a great feeling.

I'm also thankful that I have a nice house to live in, great food to eat today and every day and the luxury of having a nice stash of yarn, being able to go to movies every week, going to plays and concerts, Vikings season tickets and the time to be able to enjoy all these things. I know I am so lucky to not have to work three jobs to make ends meet and the income to be able to indulge myself on a regular basis. I am very grateful!

And most of all I'm thankful for my loving friends and family. I got a ton of support in the process of getting this new job and I know the good thoughts and wishes from my friends helped and made me more confident. My parents are all so proud of me, which makes me really happy. And I'm excited to spend the day today with my best friend, my brother!

Labels: