A Good Yarn

Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Knitting Content!

This was a knitting blog, right? Oh yeah, perhaps it should have some knitting content.

It's looking very much like my case that is supposed to go to trial today is going to settle, so instead of madly preparing last night, I did manage to do a little knitting. I worked on the Cabled T Knitalong.

I'm working this in Lion Brand Microspun, which calls for a gauge of 6 stitches per inch. I cannot even fathom being able to get that gauge with this yarn. I swatched and was able to get 5 stitches per inch on size 4 needles, so I cast on and began knitting. The bottom "ribbing" is a little messy, but I think that's the nature of the pseudo-cables. I worked on it for a couple of hours over the weekend and once I got to the stockinette stitch section, I began to suspect my gauge was still too tight. The sweater just didn't drape all that well. However, I had already knit 4" or so and so I kept chugging along.

Well, last night I was far enough away from all that work to see the light and realize I just wasn't going to be happy with a stiff sweater. So, I swatched again and came up with 4.5 stitches per inch on size 5 needles. I frogged down to the ribbing section and then decreased to the new stitch count for 4.5 spi and started knitting again. After about an inch and a half, I realized I was still a bit tight. Checked my gauge, and it's closer to 4.75 spi. So, I just switched to size 6 needles. I don't think that far down it's going to be that noticeable. I really wish I had started with the back instead of the front though.

In any case, here's the progress. I'm still not even close to where I was before I ripped, but I know I'll be happier:

And here's the middle cable and twisted rib detail: