A Good Yarn

Friday, July 21, 2006

More Movies

I mentioned a couple of days ago that I saw Pirates of the Caribbean at the drive-in. Here's a cute picture my friend took of Red and I that night:



You can see the screen in the upper right corner. You can also see that I was getting in the spirit for my boyfriend, Johnny Depp. You can also see my birthday cupcakes. Bill and Beth bought a gross of cupcakes, so we were dragging cupcakes along everywhere we went for a week. I love the greasy circles on the bottom of the box - mmmmmm - fat!

I saw a couple more movies last weekend. I went with my brother and nephew to see this film:



It's based on a novel by Philip K. Dick, whose works were turned into BladeRunner, Total Recall, Minority Report, and Paycheck previously. I liked all of those except Paycheck, so I'm a fan of his material. It's directed by Richard Linklater. They filmed the movie and then ran it through computers and turned it into animation. I really liked the look of the film. You could clearly recognize who the actors were and could see their facial expressions and such. The story was pretty interesting. It's about a police detective who goes undercover to investigate some drug dealers and ends up as his own prime suspect. I liked the idea of a shape-shifting suit so that people cannot identify what the person wearing it looks like. The ending was somewhat surprising, though it seemed to end rather abruptly to me. Overall, I liked it but didn't love it. I think people who love animation or science fiction would probably enjoy this film.

I also had film club on Sunday. This is a difficult time of year to find serious films to have good discussions about. We decided to catch an older movie:



To me, this movie was a big hunk of cheese, but I really enjoyed it despite myself. It's about a young girl living in South L.A. with her widowed mother and siblings who is a spelling genius. She used to play Scrabble with her father before he died, so she has continued his love of words as a way to feel close to him and ease her mourning. However, she's embarrassed to be the "smart girl" at school and resists the principal's suggestion she participate in the school's first spelling bee. Of course he eventually forces her to participate and Akeelah is amazing. She eventually is coached by a former spelling bee champion played by Laurence Fishburne. Everything that happens in the movie seems straight out of some screenwriter's encyclopedia and is totally predictable and/or completely improbable. This is normally the type of movie I'd be rolling my eyes and thinking "oh, come on!" I couldn't help but get sucked in and get very sucked in by the emotion and suspense. It was a good summer movie if not great art.





As promised, here's a picture of my first completed Conwy sock:



I love this Koigu yarn. It's so warm and soft. The sock fits pretty well. There's some shaping on the leg, which is really nice. Susan asked about how much Koigu I used. I had a pretty good amount of the first skein left when I finished the first sock. However, I have smallish feet - size 7 1/2 or 8 (9" long) and I made the leg shorter than the pattern calls for. My leg is 4 1/2" instead of 8". I don't like socks on my calf. This is a June Project Spectrum project, but it could sort of qualify for July also, since there were a few random purple stitches in there, like these:



I started an official July PS sock out of Socks That Rock and I'm in love with the yarn!