A Good Yarn

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Consistency

I've posted every day for the last week. That's the first time that's happened. Can you tell that I had a relatively light day at work this week? Plus football season is over, so I always have more time on my hands after that.

Stacey emailed me that she received the scarf I knit her for the RAOK Scarf Exchange. Check out how beautiful she looks with it on!

Renee's Reviews

As I said, it was a relatively light week at work, so I was able to sneak out a little early on Friday and catch a matinee - that's something I used to do regularly, but it's been harder to do so over the last few years. This is what I saw:



It's really good. Really disturbing, obviously, but really good. When I was in law school, I was really into gorillas and my dream was to go to Rwanda and see the gorillas. So when the genocide occurred, I was vaguely aware of it and knew that it was no longer safe to travel to Rwanda, but I really had no idea.

There's a scene where an American photographer is getting on a bus to leave the country and he says "I'm so ashamed". I knew exactly how he felt. I'm so ashamed that this country does nothing to aid the people of Africa from famine, AIDS and civil wars. I'm so ashamed that we did nothing to help the Tutsis in Rwanda. I've heard President Clinton say the US should have done more to help. In Senator Clinton's book (which she wrong long before this movie came out), she also says that the President wishes he had done more. That's the difference between our former President and our current President - he's not afraid to admit a mistake and not delusional enough to think he's never made one. And he's reflective enough to think about things and figure out what he could have done better. But I digress.

Don Cheadle is amazing. It's not a showy role, because his character is just a quiet, competant man. There are a couple of scenes where he finally realizes what's happening to the people of his country and it's just gripping.

New Project

Last night I started the "Ugg" booties for Saralee's granddaughter. I'm using the traditional colors:



As you can see, they're knit flat, which I'm not all that crazy about. The pattern comes from diynetwork.com, so I'm sure it's aimed at relatively new knitters. I do like the Suede yarn, though. I was warned to use metal needles because it sticks, so I'm using my Addi Turbos and having no problems. I do have to lotion up pretty good, though, because it sticks to any little rough spot on your hands. It doesn't have a lot of give, but that doesn't really bother me. I'm used to knitting with ribbons and chenilles and cottons. The fabric is really nice and soft and does look and feel very much like Suede.

Next I'm going to be casting on for the "Ruffles" scarf for the Red Scarf Project using this yarn:



Gorgeous isn't it? And it's so soft!