A Good Yarn

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Stash Enhancement, But Not Really

This weekend I'm going to Mexico with a group from The Yarn Cafe.



Yes, I am very excited. It's not all that cold here, considering it's January in Minnesota. However, it has been very gray and it's still heavy coat weather, so it'll be nice to wear light clothes and soak up the sun! Not to mention getting away from everything and relaxing. I did have a good morning at work yesterday, though. I actually felt like I made a difference in a child's life. Some days I wonder if I'm just a cog in a big machine that really doesn't matter. Yesterday I felt like I made a difference. But the afternoon was back to the stress and conflict, so I'm looking forward to getting away.

I'm a little torn about vacationing at this point. When I booked the trip, getting away in January sounded like such a good idea. I'm not sure I'd plan a January vacation again. It's too close to Christmas and all the Christmas bills. Plus, I've already had short weeks the last three weeks. It'd probably be better to be more in the day to day drudgery in February or March. Plus, I'm not that sick of winter yet - again, just wait until February or March. Nevertheless, I'm super excited about the trip! I think it's going to be so much fun.

We will be working on a group project in the mornings. It's a double-knit scarf, so I went to the store this weekend to pick up the supplies. I decided to go with my old favorite, purple.



That's Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran and Trendsetter Dune. They're both really soft and I think they look great together. I also saw a new Noro yarn and picked up three skeins:



It's the gorgeous colors of Noro with a shiny metallic thread. Here's another picture, without flash, that shows how the metallic almost glows:



Love it! They had a little felted pouch that looked really cool, so I'm going to make another booga bag. I think I'll bring it along to Mexico since my current projects are not very portable.

Speaking of current projects, I ripped the neckband off Lucky last night and started knitting it longer. It took a really long time to undo that whole neckband! I brought the finished snake scarf with me to the indoor park that Michael and I met Bill and his family at last night. Red seemed to like it, but Bill totally latched onto it. He was very impressed that I had backed it with fabric. He wore it around his neck all night and never did give it back to me, so I'm trying to remember how many stitches I cast on....