A Good Yarn

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Part II

I lied. This is going to be a three part post - there's just too much goodness going on around here to be contained in one post!

I got a very nice package from my Secret Pal 6 - Jenny! First off I got this cutie-pie!



Isn't he adorable? I don't have any alpacas, either, so I love it! You can also see the very pretty card that Jenny enclosed. I also got some real alpaca:



It's called "Iris Garden" and was spun from one of Jenny's LYSO's own alpaca. So soft and lovely - I just love alpaca! It's so warm too, which I need right now because it's below zero around here - ouch!



She also included this matching Filatura Di Crosa mohair blend. I was thinking about making wrist cuffs with the alpaca, but this yarn matches so well, I may do something with these two together, instead. Hmmm.... so many possibilities! She also enclosed a couple of skeins of one of my favorite yarns:



I LOVE those colors!!! Thanks for being a great Pal, Jenny!!

And as promised, here's a picture of the necklace I made Beth for her birthday:



It's a little longer than I wanted, but I got on a roll and just used up all the pearls I had in the mix.

I've also been doing a bit of reading. I finally finished "Pope Joan". This book received a mixed reaction at book club, but I really liked it. Some folks didn't like the love story that was included, but I'm a sucker for a love story, plus I understand why you had to include something since if Pope Joan did exist, she died after getting pregnant, so she somehow has to end up a pregnant Pope. I thought the book was really well written - sort of written in a history style. It really piqued my interest about the political history of the middle ages and the history of the Popes in that time. It's a period of history I really know nothing about. I've also been watching "Rome" on HBO, so on Thanksgiving morning I spent quite a bit of time reading about pre-Roman Empire and the middle ages on the internet. If you like historical fiction, I'd recommend this book. I decided to pick up an easy knitting related book, next:



I've really enjoyed this series - I love mysteries and it's set in a Minnesota yarn/needlework store - what's not to like? This was released last year, but it was a hardcover for the first time. I couldn't see spending that much money on it, but I was able to find a used copy for a good price. This time the action isn't set in Minnesota, but so far I'm enjoying it.

I'll finish up with my other yarn acquisitions next time.