A Good Yarn

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

I hate getting old!

When I was growing up, I would listen to my parents, grandparents and such complain about all these problems with growing old and think it was such a crock. I heard time flies so quickly and now I know, indeed it does. Despite the fact that it's extremely hot outside, I can't believe it's almost August.

I used to hear that they couldn't see things the way they used to. And now all of a sudden I do find I have trouble seeing things every now and then. I still am able to knit with black yarn and do small detail work, but I know the day is coming when it will be difficult.

I used to hear about forgetfulness and think that was so lame - either you know something or you don't. I used to be so quick thinking. And now, I can't come up with the words for things. That's not a good thing for a lawyer. Lately I've watched a few episodes of the "World Series of Pop Culture." Most of the time I know exactly what the answer is, but I just can't access the words. Names are the worst. One of the questions was about Reese Witherspoon and I couldn't for the life of me remember her name, although I could picture her face and how she looked in a number of films. It's so unfair!

And the thing I totally couldn't comprehend - how you could walk into a room and not remember what you came there for. How could that be? You must have been stupid all along. But just now I got up from peacefully knitting in the recliner to take care of something on the computer quick, but once I sat down at the computer (um, 20 seconds later, maybe?) I could not for the life of me remember what was so important to look up. I still can't.