A Good Yarn

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

It's Almost Halloween

I love to do something to celebrate Halloween with Red, so I decided to take the boys to a Haunted House this year, since they're getting older. Michael decided he didn't want to go because it was too scary for him (funny, since he's the oldest one), so I just took Red and Ben. I did a bunch of research to figure out which was scary, but not too scary, and decided the Spooky Chamber was the best choice. You can say "Monster Be Good" if you get scared, and the monster will turn around and leave you alone. It's part of the Corn Maze, so it's a bit pricey, since you have to pay to get in the Corn Maze and then pay to get in Spooky Chamber, but I would say it was worth the money. The Spooky Chambers was pretty short, but it was scary, but not too scary - just perfect for Red. I think Ben could have gone for something a little scarier, but he seemed satisfied with the experience. Then we got to explore the rest of the activities - a petting zoo with some very different animals, a pumpkin tossing sling, a pig race and of course the Corn Maze. We didn't get a chance to make it all the way through the maze because we ran out of time, but I think I'll put this on our list of things to do next year again. I didn't bring my camera, so I don't have any pictures - sorry :-(

Saturday night I got to see one of my favorite authors, David Sedaris. If you haven't read any of his books, do yourself a favor and get one now. Better yet, get the book on tape. He writes short sort of autobiographical stories that are hilariously funny and his delivery of them is so entertaining. This time he read some stuff from "This American Life", The New Yorker , and some other things he's working on. I had never heard any of it before and it was all truly funny. He always recommends a book when he does a reading and this time it was "Is There No Place On Earth for Me?" He read an excerpt and it was funny and also sad, since it's about a woman with schizophrenia. I have to work with mentally ill people in my job, which can be quite a challenge, so I had a moment of recognition while he was reading. Sounds like a great book, so I'll probably pick it up.

Sunday I watched football and knit, so I have an FO:



Project Name: Pebbles Scarf
Yarn: Prism Pebbles
Yarn Source: Needlework Unlimited
Date Started: 10/22/06
Date Completed: 10/22/06

Comments: This is another knit for the Pine Ridge Reservation - a child's scarf. I bought the yarn during the Treasure Hunt. As you may recall, I wanted to buy something from each store on the hunt to encourage them to do it again next year. I had long admired this unusual yarn when I visited NU, but it's a little pricey and I didn't think I needed another plain scarf for myself, but I decided it was a perfect thing to buy on the Treasure Hunt.

The yarn is 100% nylon worsted weight. The yarn is constructed as a series of little poof balls - it sort of looks like a string of beads:



I decided to knit a very simple knit/purl combination in a basketweave pattern. I like the feel of this yarn in the skein better than I do knitted up. It was fun to see how it turned out, but I'm glad I didn't buy more skeins for a scarf for myself. It was also a little hard to knit since there was no give at all. I think some little girl at Pine Ridge will really like it though. Here's a closer look at how it looks knitted up: