A Good Yarn

Monday, October 02, 2006

FO!

I had a very relaxing weekend, without a lot of commitments, which was exactly what I needed. I was able to start unpacking my winter clothes and packing away my summer clothes (although summer seems to have returned!) I baked an apple crisp from apples that Bill's mother grew on her trees. I did my homework for my film class (Pulp Fiction this week - one of my Top Ten of all time). I watched the Vikings lose :-( Red called me up and asked if I wanted to go mini-golfing, so we did. This time to a more traditional course - Lava Links in Roseville. I did a spot of housework, though not a ton. On a very, very positive note, though, I FINALLY finished ironing all of the clothes - the half an hour a day finally paid off. And, I did a little knitting. I finished the first Lozenge Pattern Gentleman's Sock:



It's too big for me, so it'll be a pair for charity. I'm knitting warm things for people on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota this fall. I'm gathering things from people in one of my knitting groups, so if anyone else wants to contribute, let me know. I'm collecting until December 1. They can use pretty much anything for babies, kids or adults - hats, socks, blankets, scarves, mittens, etc. Anyway, I don't mind how the pooling turned out in the end. It looks sort of swirly and cool. I also finished the Merging Colors Scarf. Here it is blocking:



Project Name: Merging Colors Mitered Scarf
Designer: Candace Eisner Strick
Pattern Source: kit
Yarn: 100% Merino
Yarn Source: Earthfaire
Date Started: 9/3/06
Date Completed: 10/1/06

Comments: I may have set some sort of personal record for the shortest time between buying yarn and finishing a project. Usually I let the yarn sit in stash and age, but I was so excited about this scarf that I cast on almost immediately after receiving the yarn. I twisted the cast on row and didn't discover it until I was 13 rows into the project, so I ended up having to rip it out and start over again. I was knitting it obsessively when I first started and again after I ripped out, so I still managed to finish in just under a month. That's not so fast for my speedy friends, but it's pretty good for me. I'm absolutely in love with the finished project and trying very, very hard not to buy another colorway immediately.