A Good Yarn

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Edward Scissorhands

I went to Edward Scissorhands at the Ordway last night. This is a musical/dance version of the movie by Tim Burton from 1990. The production is created by Matthew Bourne, who creates these sort of dance plays that are very popular. He combines the big production values of a Broadway musical with dance movement to create something that is very accessible, even to those of us who don't attend the ballet or frequent modern dance shows.

At first I thought it was sort of an odd choice of content, but having seen it, Edward Scissorhands is the perfect piece to be recreated as dance. It's sort of big and theatrical to begin with, so Bourne was able to reproduce it in movement very well. Even though no words are spoken or sung, you totally understand who all of the characters are and sort of why they act the way they do.

Part of that is because of the costumes and sets. They are incredible and convey a lot about this small town and the people in it. The whole show is just a feast for the eyes. The Danny Elfman score from the film is used pretty liberally in the show. I'm a huge Elfman fan and I thought his score was much, much better than the rest of the music. The storyline in the film is changed here and there, but the general story is the same and overall I really liked it. My favorite scene is the last one of the first act when Edward and Kim dance together among all these topiaries. I did feel, however, that the show wasn't as emotionally impactful as the film. Perhaps for me that's just the nature of film (and my boyfriend Johnny Depp's haunting portrayal of the pain and loneliness of Edward), but I was much more moved by the film than the play. However, I did enjoy the play and it was just stunning visually. If you want to dip your toes into dance theater, enjoy the visual nature of live performance or are just a big fan of the film, I'd say check this one out.

Since I was out late at the theater, I didn't have time to finish up my cardigan, but I did block it out and found some very cute buttons to use:



I am absolutely in love with the raglan decreases - probably because they look like mitered squares:



My plan is to sew on the buttons and work in the tails tonight, so I'll have a nice new sweater to give baby Jay-jay when he is baptised in a couple of weeks.

I got my April selection from the Posh Sock Yarn Club:



Wouldn't that have been perfect for the last PS color pairing? It's still a bit pastel and pale for my tastes, but this is actually something I would use.

And yes, that is snow you see under the yarn. I've been trying not to complain about the weather, but I just can't stand it any more! I spent most of March in sandals and short sleeves, I'm DONE with winter!!! We had snow last week and now again today. It was only 3 degrees warmer on Easter than it was on Christmas. ENOUGH!!! I'm tired of my winter clothes and want to wear the cute summer dresses I've bought!