A Good Yarn

Monday, January 28, 2008

Movies and Knitting

I finished up my first Monkey sock:



As usual, I made the leg shorter than the pattern called for. The sock really fits well - this is a great pattern. I like how the Wollmeise worked in the pattern. I especially love that stripey heel!

I also saw a couple of films this weekend. On Friday night I saw this one:



I really liked this film a lot. Laura Linney and Philip Seymour Hoffman play a brother and sister who aren't close, but have to come together when their father starts showing signs of dementia and his live-in girlfriend dies, leaving him homeless. The siblings take their dad back to the east coast and find a nursing home for him and spend some time getting him settled and sort of living together as a family again. The film takes on some pretty heavy topics, like death and family duty. But it has a lot of humor, too. Hoffman and Linney give really strong performances, really bringing these siblings to life. Since my brother is my best friend, I'm always a sucker for films about brothers and sisters and I'm getting to the age where I'm starting to worry about what I'm going to do with my parents as they age, so this film really spoke to me. But I think it's so well written and so well acted that it would appeal to anyone who is interested in people and their stories.

I also saw a film on Saturday:



This is a German film that isn't going to get a wide U.S. release, so I won't spend a ton of time on it. It is definitely worth checking out if you have access to foreign films when it comes out on DVD though. It's about a young German man who chooses to do his civil service at the Museum in Auschwitz. It's another real character study and I was fascinated with the people and really caught up in their story.