A Good Yarn

Sunday, January 30, 2005

Time Flies...

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I wish there were more hours in the day. This is going to be one of those weekends that flies by and I find myself back at my desk before I know it.

Beading with the Girls

Last week when I went to The Yarnery, I also stopped by The Bead Monkey and picked up a few things. The Yarnery is the closest store to my house and I pretty much know what they carry, so I tend to go there quite a bit. The evil thing is, the easiest place to park is the parking lot behind The Bead Monkey and so I end up stopping there too most of the time. This time, it must have been fate, because later that day my friend Nikki invited me to come to her house on Saturday for beading and vino.

So, that's how I spent the afternoon yesterday. Here's Nikki and Pam:



and my "BFF", Florence:



Nikki, Florence, my friend Michael and I started our book club 4 years ago. I went to law school with Michael. He used to work with Nikki and Nikki and Florence work together now (the book club has expanded beyond just lawyers now, but it took some arm twisting at first - we're really not that bad!) Over the 4 years we've gotten pretty close and obviously spend time together outside of book club too. It was so much fun to sit and chat with them and bead together. Another book club mate, Teresa, was supposed to be there too, but she had to give her parents a ride to the airport, so it didn't work out. Here's what I made:



Stash Anxiety

After beading, I went over to my brother's because he's come down with the flu that's going around. His kids were gone for the weekend, so he was all by himself. Afterwards I decided to check out the Michael's by his house. They have a lot more stuff than the Michael's by my office, so I had a great time just cruising through, picking up this and that. This is how I end up with so much crap.

My pals were astounded by the number of seed beads that I have. It's a sickness, really. Nikki exclaimed, "You have hundreds of dollars of beads here". Florence has previously witnessed my rubberstamping/scrapbooking madness. Of course, the true sickness lies in my yarn stash. Pam said she waits until she's really low on beads before she buys more. I wish I could say the same, but I know that if you don't buy the beads or paper or rubberstamp or yarn that you like right now, it's probably going to be gone when you get around to needing it. And I love being able to just go grab whatever I need in my stash. However, it would be great to have a little more money in my retirement account or for vacations, too.

More Beading

Anyway, when I got home, I was unhappy with that necklace I made because it didn't look like the picture you see above. It was more like a choker, which isn't very attractive on someone with a giant neck like myself. So I re-did it to make it longer, as you see above. Since I was in a beading mode, I made these rings, which Susan showed me how to make at our friend Kerry's birthday party:



They're made with heishis, crystals and stretchy cord. I think they're cute. I also picked up some heart beads made from freshwater pearls, so I made some Valentine's Day earrings:



Of course, I love hearts, so I'll wear them year-round. Finally, I got out my stash of green beads and made a bunch of beaded stitch markers to replenish that stash:



I like to send beaded stitch markers as RAOKs and little gifties in exchanges, etc. I also wound that ball of La Luz yarn and it was heavenly soft. I can't wait to cast on!