A Good Yarn

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Short Weeks

Short weeks are a mixed blessing. On the one hand, it's great to have a short work week and to get to the weekend so quickly. On the other hand, it's hard to get five days work done in three days. It probably didn't help that I had social obligations every night this week, so I couldn't stay late to work.

On Wednesday I got to see the cute Beatle:



I saw Paul McCartney when he was in town three years ago. The tickets are pretty expensive, but he's a Beatle for pete's sake! I figured I'd better take my chance. Turned out to be one of my favorite concerts ever - he was so enthusiastic and still has a great voice. He played a ton of Beatles and Wings hits as well as some of his solo stuff that I've liked over the years. Just loved the show.

This one was still really good and I enjoyed it a lot, but it was quite different. He played some of the big hits (including Live and Let Die which was my favorite from the first concert), but he played a ton of earlier and lesser known Beatles stuff too. Songs that you know and recognize, but weren't necessarily #1 hits. He also played a lot of songs from his new album which sounded really good - I may have to pick that one up. Again, the tickets cost a lot, but he definitely puts a lot of money into the presentation - there was a wall of small video screens right behind the band and a wall of bigger screens behind the entire stage. These screens had different images and colors for every song. Really interesting visuals. There were also three huge screens showing Paul and the band on all sides of the stage so everyone could see. The lighting was also really cool and different. Last time he had some funky dancers opening the show, which I found very lame. This time he had a DJ playing his music as club music. That went on way too long. I'm not sure that crowd was the best crowd for dance music, either - I saw people in their 70s at the show, having a great time during Paul's set. After the DJ there was a short video showing the life of Paul McCartney from birth to playing the Super Bowl this January and Red Square. It seems pretty egotistical to show something like that at your concert, plus I think anyone who's coughing up the dough to see this show pretty much knows the story. Everything else was great, though.

Thursday night I took another Holiday card class at Archivers. This one was with Paper Salon materials. We made three different cards:





Very cute and vintagey, don't you think? I really liked their designs and I'm going to make some of these for my cards this year. They also gave us a little purse to hold our cards:



Last night I was on babysitting duty for Bill and Beth. I was going to take the kids to Zoo Boo, but they close at 7:30, so we didn't have time. So, we decided that we'd make jack-o-lanterns instead. I took them to this pumpkin patch that Bill and I took Red a couple of years ago that's really cute and has a haunted house and stuff on the grounds. Just as we pull up, the guy says he's closing. After two strikes, I was a little nervous, but we went to the grocery store and picked out pumpkins and everything worked out fine. Each kid got to draw a face on their own pumpkin and dig the seeds and goo out of the pumpkin. I cut the faces. I forgot to bring my camera, so I didn't get any pictures of the glowing pumpkins.

I received another set of markers from the Stitch Marker Swap:



I actually used these beads on some jewelry and some stitch markers that I made, so I obviously love them! These are nice and big rings for when I make big needle projects, which I don't have a lot of. Thanks, pal!!

I also received some yarn in the mail:



It's Andean Silk from Knit Picks. I mentioned before that my sister, Laura, asked me to make her a hooded cardigan, so I'm going to use this yarn. Laura is very sensitive to scratchy yarn, but this should be fine. It's 55% superfine alpaca, 23% silk, 22% merino wool. It feels really nice and soft against my bare skin. I need to find where I wrote down her new measurements (she's lost quite a bit of weight) so I can get started on this!

I'm ready to start a new project because I FINALLY gave the Hearts sweater to Saralee, along with the little hats and socks I made to match. She was ecstatic! When she saw it she grabbed me and gave me a huge hug and then ran and showed her husband. I'm so glad she liked it. Her granddaughter won't be able to wear it this winter because it's so over-sized, but hopefully next year.