A Good Yarn

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Celebrating Winter - and Art!

Another much smaller celebration of Winter that is taking place in Minnesota is the Art Shanty Projects. There are a bunch of shanties (ice houses) on a metro lake with an artistic twist.



The shanties are actually pretty cool. There is one decorated by a group of high school students. One houses karaoke. In one you can trade a story for some hot cocoa. This one looked really cool:



It's called "After the Fall" and tells the story of philosopher Giordano Bruno.

This one is from the Black Arc Shanty and featured a wonderful performance piece outside involving some sort of funeral dirge for fish.



Here's my friend Florence beside a very large fishing lure:



And here she is in front of my favorite ice house:



Yes, it was a Knitting Shanty. As you can see in the picture, it was extremely well insulated, so it was as cozy as could be. They were knitting blankets for Project Linus and giving knitting lessons to those who don't know how to knit. Florence took in a quick lesson:



and we knit on either end of a very long community knitted scarf:



It was a super fun exhibit and I'd recommend the trip out if you live in the Twin Cities. There's a slide show accompanying this story in the local paper.

Before going to the Art Shanty Projects I took a class on the Shapely Shawlette pattern at Needlework Unlimited. I fell in love with the beaded version at the store and bought the pattern, so I figured I might as well take the class when the designer, Judy Pascale was scheduled to teach it. I really enjoyed the class. Judy is a very enthusiastic teacher with a lot of energy. I learned a couple of really neat tricks, too.

In the evening, I took in a movie with another friend



I really liked it! I am not a fan of Scarlett Johansson, though, and she really bugged me in this film. It's a mystery/thriller kind of, so I don't want to give away any key plot points, but I wonder if I would have felt differently about what happens in the film if another actress were playing her part. I really liked the story, though, and was thoroughly caught up in the mystery and plot. This would also be a good film to watch for movie club because there was a lot of stuff to talk about - like how much store do you put in "luck" or what is more important, great passion or love. Or in this film, does love even enter into it - was it really lust v. passion? I was captivated by Jonathan Rhys Meyers - he really reminded me of Joaquin Phoenix. I know not everyone likes Woody Allen films, but this is not typical of his work and I'd really recommend it.