A Good Yarn

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Clean Up

So, just a few loose ends from the trip. As you can tell, I loved the trip and I thought Yarn Cafe and World Class Travel did an awesome job with setting up the trip - everything went very, very smoothly and I think everyone had a great time. I would definitely recommend taking one of their trips and I more than likely will do another one. The next trip they're planning is to Norway in August. I'd love to make that trip, but I'm not sure if I can afford the time away and the money. They gave everyone a nice little goodie bag when we arrived, also:



In the background you can see the bag with the two logos embroidered on the pockets. It's a nice bag and it was really handy for dragging my knitting, book, water, camera and sunscreen to the beach and back. We also got a journal to record some thoughts or knitting notes, a cute pink baseball cap to shade our eyes and a fun skein of yarn. There was some candy, also, but I gave that to the boys as a souvenir. They also included a number of discount coupons which I will be using. We also received gift cards if we were found wearing the hat at certain random times. There was also a scavenger hunt for a big gift certificate to the store - I didn't have much luck, but I helped a really sweet, very enthusiastic young woman who ended up winning! It was super fun and I can't wait for the next trip I go on with them!

I cast on for a pair of Jaywalker socks while I was in the airport:



They are knit with some Tess' Designer Yarns that I got last year at Maryland Sheep and Wool. I don't know what this color is called, but I'm calling it Tequila Sunrise. I love the design with the yarn! As you can see, I made the leg a little shorter - I don't like my socks to go too far up the calf. I was worried about fitting it over my heel, but I was able to make it with a little wiggling.

As I mentioned before, I finished up "The Three Junes" on my trip. I also started a new one:



This was one of the books I got from my sister for Christmas. It's non-fiction. It's written by a guy who was a reporter for the New York Times but was fired after it was revealed that he had created a child profiled in a story about child labor. The next day he found out another man had killed his wife and children and fled to Mexico, passing himself off as the reporter. At a time when he was questioning his own identity, the reporter was fascinated to find out that this man had taken on his identity. He contacted the man after he was arrested and they formed a relationship and this book is the result. It's about the reporter and the murderer. It's an easy read and really interesting. The whole James Frey/Million Little Pieces controversy also ties in and is interesting with this book.