A Good Yarn

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Blogging Emergency

I'm in the middle of a Blogging Emergency. No, it isn't he piss-poor performance of Blogger a couple of days ago. I seem to have lost my digital camera. On Sunday we went to Valleyfair, so I brought it into the office on Tuesday to burn CDs of the pictures for Bill and Greg. While I was at it, I burned most of the other pictures to CD also. Most, but not all. The pictures from the 4th of July weekend that I hadn't printed out yet were still on the memory card, because I thought that'd be easier to cart to Pro-Ex. Stupid, stupid, stupid girl.

I'm pretty sure I put the camera in a shopping bag with some other things I wanted to bring home. I brought the shopping bag in to the mall with me to watch a movie, so I think it must have fallen out of the bag in the movie theater, but no one has turned it in. I cleaned my whole office up and it's not there. I looked everywhere in the car and it's not there. So, it seems to be lost. I'm bummed because although it's not a super fancy high-end digicam, it is a nice chunk of change for me - I could buy enough high quality yarn for 2 sweaters with that money. Or pay off the rest of Finbar's medical bill, which is what I was planning on doing. I also had a huge memory card in there, which will also be expensive to replace. That was a gift from Bill. Worst of all is missing those pictures from the 4th. Those are irreplacable. Alexis had lost her front teeth and now I'll never have those pictures. DANG!

I've bought a replacement camera and it's on its way here, but until that happens, no pictures. And I have so many things to show you! I got an awesome package from the Secret Pal 8. I finished the Nora sweater. I'm halfway done with the first Jaywalker in Socks That Rock. Maybe I'll post some of the pictures from Valleyfair. For now, I'll do some movie reviews.

When I lost my camera (I think) I was at this movie:



It was a cute one. It's about this little boy who lives across the street from the cranky old man in the neighborhood. The night before Halloween he and the old man get in an argument and the old man collapses. After he's carted off in the ambulance, the house comes alive and starts "eating" whatever comes close to it. Of course, no one believes the little boy, who is joined by his best friend and a girl selling candy door to door, who they save from being eaten by the house. Since Halloween is coming, they have to figure out how to save the unsuspecting neighborhood children who are going to be going to the door of the house for trick or treating from being eaten. It's a very cute story. I liked the animation a lot and I enjoyed the voice actors. Most of the kids liked it too and weren't too scared.

The next day was movie camp and Michael and I saw something I hadn't seen before, this:



It's a movie about a girl and her dog - of course I liked it! It's about a little girl who lives with her father, a minister. They have recently moved to a small town in Florida, so she's very lonely because she has no friends. Her mother just up and left when she was 3. She finds a dog in the local Winn-Dixie and convinces her dad to let her keep him and she names him Winn-Dixie. Because of Winn-Dixie, she's no longer so lonely and she meets and befriends a diverse group of people.

This film is completely unreleastic. The people in it do not behave as people in the real world behave and everyone in the film is some sort of character right out of central casting. However, I was charmed by the little girl and the dog, so if you're a dog lover like me and can suspend your disbelief, it might be worth checking out. Michael is also a dog lover and enjoyed the film.

Finally, I am now living on the surface of the sun, so I escaped the heat by taking in an early evening movie:



I'll warn you up from that I'm a huge Woody Allen fan. I enjoyed this movie, though I wouldn't call it great. It's not as good as Matchplay or Manhatten Murder Mystery, but it was still a fun mystery with some laughs. Of course, I seemed to be laughing more than anyone else in the theater, so take that with a grain of salt.

The film stars Scarlett Johansson as a college newspaper reporter vacationing in London. Woody Allen plays a hack magician who calls Scarlett to the stage so he can make her disappear. While she's in the magic disappearing chamber, the ghost of a reporter, played by Ian McShane, appears to her to give her a big scoop - he believes a serial killer known as The Tarot Card killer is the golden boy of a wealthy family who is headed for a life in politics. Since the ghost appeared to her in the magic show, Scarlett enlists Woody's help to track down this man, played by Hugh Jackman. She attracts his interest and they start dating, while Woody pretends to be Scarlett's father.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not a fan of Scarlett Johansson. I find her acting stiff and wooden. In this film I wasn't as bothered by her because she was doing a Woody Allen imitation - she talked in the same rhythms as Woody always does. Which would probably bother most other people, but it made her different enough from her usual self that I wasn't as bothered. Hugh Jackman was as dreamy, sauve and debonaire as you would expect.

I just got a message from my brother - Michael had my camera in his bag, somehow. Yeah!!! I'm so happy to have my pictures back. Now I have to decide if I should return that new camera which I was kind of excited about upgrading to back or keep it and give my old camera to my sister who broke her digital camera.