A Good Yarn

Monday, April 16, 2007

FO!


Project Name: Raglan Cardigan
Designer: Me and Ann Budd
Pattern Source: Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns
Yarn: SWTC Tofutsies
Yarn Source: Needlework Unlimited
Date Started: 2/24/07
Date Completed: 4/11/07

Comments: I knit this sweater for my baby nephew, Jason. I originally started another pattern with this yarn, but I read my gauge requirements wrong and it was coming out much too small. So, I ripped that one back and knit this one using the pattern numbers from "Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns". I chose a raglan sleeve and a v-neck cardigan with a 2x2 ribbing on the edges. I love the fabric this yarn made. It has a very nice, drapey feel to it and it feels like it would be nice and cool for summer nights. I used a size 2 needle for the body of sweater and size 0 for the ribbings, but I think I'd go down even smaller if I were to knit socks with this yarn. Here is how the back patterning worked out:



I wasn't sure about how the pooling would work out, but I liked the finished look. It looks pretty even and like a pattern, not just a blob, at least to my eyes. The blue, green and yellow just cried out for duckie buttons and happily I found some in the right size:



Speaking of baby knitting, I've also been working on the blanket for Jason. You know what the most boring thing in the world to knit is? A plain stockinette stitch square:



Last time I blogged about this, I mentioned that it was coming out smaller than the other side of the blanket so I was going to rip out and start over on a bigger needle. Which I did. And then it was too big and I didn't much like the fabric. So I ripped out again and re-knit what I had originally started. Note to self: next time, don't rip out the old stuff. Just start over with new yarn on the bigger needle and if it works out, THEN rip out the old stuff. I might be done knitting this already if I hadn't wasted so much time on the ripping and starting over and ripping and starting over. I'll just have to ease out this side when I sew the two sides together. It feels like I'm just knitting miles and miles and miles of stitches though: