A Good Yarn

Monday, June 11, 2007

Crazy Love

I think Ocean's 13 will be around for at least a couple more weeks, so I decided to see a smaller movie yesterday:



This is a documentary about a famous crime that occurred in 1959. In 1957, Burt Pugach saw Linda Riss sitting on a park bench and instantly fell in love. Burt was a wealthy attorney in his early 30s and Linda was a woman in her early 20s from a working class background. Linda was beautiful and vivacious and was won over by Burt's extravagent attention and gifts. Eventually Linda found out that Burt wasn't really going to marry her like he promised and so she broke up, found a new guy and got engaged. Burt was obsessed and stalking her and when he found out Linda was engaged, he hired three guys to attack her. As I mentioned, the story was huge news in New York and all over the country because it was so sensational. I don't want to go into too many other details, in case you, like me, aren't familiar with the story. It's much better to watch it unfold on the screen because it's just unbelievable. The film is structured around interviews in the present day with Linda and Burt, who are both real characters. The director also interviews some of their friends, who also are really colorful. The interviews are interwoven with photographs and home movies of Linda and Burt and stock footage of the times, to set the scene. I really found it absorbing and really easy to follow. The story is all told in chronological order, so you start with a little bit of background information about Linda and Burt's childhoods and it ends with the two of them right now. The soundtrack is great - there are A LOT of songs about obsessional love! There's even a little knitting content - They show pictures from a People magazine article about Burt and Linda and Linda is knitting Burt a scarf or sweater or something, and draping it around his shoulders, on the needles. It's really a fascinating story, so even if you're not a big fan of documentaries, if you are interested in people and their stories, check this one out.

Speaking of people and their stories, for what it's worth, I loved the Sopranos Finale. I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but I'll just say that I thought it was a great way to end the series and that the writing, directing and acting in that final scene were all fantastic.

And finally, I'll show you some yarn I got on sale:



I bought some yarn at Webs for a project I've been wanting to do for a while, but I'm not ready to talk about it yet. This Regia silk was on sale, so I threw it in the cart, too. It's really hard to capture red, but this is pretty close - it's a very orangeish, kind of cherry red.

Labels: ,