A Good Yarn

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Happy June

I can't believe how fast May went. I guess that's good, since it was a difficult month. Let's see time slow down a bit so we can enjoy a nice summer, though, ok?

I saw another great summer comedy:



You've probably seen the ads, but in short, it's about a lovely professional woman, Alison (Katherine Heigl) who goes out to celebrate a promotion, gets drunk and has a one night stand with a schlumpy but funny loser, Ben (Seth Rogan), then gets pregnant. They decide to have the baby and have to decide if they can make it together as a couple or just be parents and nothing else. The supporting characters are Ben's loser friends and Alison's sister and brother-in-law. Everyone in the cast is fantastic. They hit their marks perfectly, without over-doing it into caricature. The director, Judd Apatow (he previously made The 40-Year-Old-Virgin and hilarious tv shows like Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared) does such a good job of capturing the viewpoint of both the women and the men in the film. Ben and Alison's brother-in-law (played by Paul Rudd who really should be a bigger star, he's so fantastic in everything he's in) both deal with the fear that settling down and having a family means losing "your guyness" and Alison and her sister have fears about getting old and being alone. There are times when people act like jerks, just like in real life, but they always seem relatable and understandable. But it all is very, very funny, too. This is the type of romantic comedy that will be enjoyed by both men and women and those who love rom-coms and those who think they're too slight and silly, because there's real substance to this one. But it's funny!

In other news, I've mentioned before that I have my own little rule that before I can put yarn away into stash, I need to confess to buying it on the blog. My hope is that having to admit to buying way too much yarn will keep me from buying way too much yarn. So, since I didn't get this yarn cast on during April or May, I'll come clean and then put it into stash for now:



I bought enough for a sleeveless shell. Happily, I got it on sale at Mary Lue's, so it wasn't too much of a splurge.