The Best So Far...
5. Waitress - I thought this was as sweet as the pies the main character makes in this movie. Charming and quirky, with a lot of heart.
4. Hot Fuzz - I don't think this is in theaters any more, but make sure to catch it on DVD. Hilarious send up of American buddy cop films that ends up being a really good buddy copy film itself.
3. Knocked Up - Equal parts hilarious and sweet. It's a romantic comedy for people who hate romantic comedies.
2. Sicko - It's funny, gut wrenching and frightening. Not much is more compelling than real life. Maybe if everyone sees this film, there will be enough political will to fix our broken healthcare system.
1. Once - Oh, I love this film so much. I wouldn't be surprised if it's still my favorite film of the year at the end of the year. A modern day musical where the music is an organic, compelling piece of the story.
Those are some pretty light films, eh? Even Sicko, which can be pretty dark and depressing, is funny enough to earn the description of comedy. I'm sure my final list of the year will include some real drama and tragedy.
In knitting news, I got my latest selection from the Sweet Sheep Project Spectrum Club. The colors for this go around are red, black and metallic and we had red last month, so I was wondering what she'd come up with for July. Black is fantastic and I knit with it all the time, but it's kind of a bad choice for a hand-dyed sock club. But metallic, that wouldn't really work either, right? WRONG! I squealed when I opened this package:
It is indeed golden and really, really lovely. I am feeling the need to grab a gorgeous purple and start some sort of Vikings themed item to wear to the games this fall. Afterall, training camp starts in less than 2 weeks.