A Good Yarn

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Happy Labor Day

Labor Day is over. Summer is unofficially over. Fall is my favorite season, so I'm pretty excited. But I could have enjoyed another day of "long weekend".

I had to work on Friday night, so I didn't get to kick off the weekend early. However, since I was in the neighborhood, I called my brother and his kids and we went out of dinner I was done. We went to Ikasu Sushi Bar in Edina. They have sharply reduced the menu from the last time I was there, so there wasn't that much for the kids to eat, but Greg and I quite enjoyed the sushi and cocktails.

Saturday morning was the draft for the fantasy football league that I'm in with my brother, one of my best friends, his brother, one of my brother's friends, etc. etc. Greg and I joined the league in 1999 I believe. I've won the last two years, which really irritates some of the boys, I think. I also took over as Commish two years ago. So, although I have several other leagues, this is the one that matters the most to me. The draft went well - it went really fast. I felt a little worried about my roster, but then when I looked at everyone else's roster, I felt a bit better. We have 12 teams this year, which makes it more competitive than the 10 teams we had last year. After the draft, Greg and I took my nephew to the zoo and then we saw Spiderman 2 at the Imax Theater. It's the first time I've seen a theatrical release in Imax. For the most part, I really liked it. Images that large do make it easier to spot CGI, however.

Sunday I spent at home, alone, so I managed to get some work around the house done. It was a complete pig-sty, so I'm happy to have gotten at least half of the place clean - now I just have to work on the other half. Monday I had brunch as usual and did a little work. In the early evening I went to a movie with a friend. We saw this:



Loved it! I'm a huge fan of the original, "Before Sunrise". If you haven't seen either, I highly recommend them both. The dialog is so realistic and the actors totally have you engaged and believing you're really watching two people having a conversation. I'm close to the characters ages, so I really connected with them both times. I'm hoping they'll make it a series and every 5-10 years make another one, showing how the characters have changed over the years.

I also wanted to refer any Twin Cities knitters to the new Twin Cities Stitch n Bitch Forums. It's a great resource for getting info on knitting in the Twin Cities and getting to know other local knitters.