A Good Yarn

Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Bead Night

My friend, Florence, treated me to a beaded bracelets class for my birthday, which we went to last night. It was fun taking a class with Florence and seeing everyone else's bracelets, but as faithful readers of this blog can attest, I already am addicted to bracelets, so I really didn't learn much. We first made memory wire bracelets:



That's purple India glass with gold beads and spacers. I think my wrists are too fat for memory wire bracelets, so I'm contemplating making it into a necklace instead. I'm going to mull it over for a while first, though.

Next we made stretch bracelets. I made two since I had extra time:


You can't tell from the photo, but those red beads are just gorgeous. I also used silver heishis.


That one is made from wooden purple and green beads and a gold seed bead. I really love the wooden beads. They come in such great colors and are so lightweight.

We also made a regular Softflex bracelet with a clasp, but my camera ran out of battery before I could take a picture of that one. I did it with the same red beads and some silver beads with Celtic knotwork and silver spacers. However, my bracelet wasn't long enough, so the teacher told me to add some more red beads to the end. I was worried the red beads would be too big to allow the toggle to work, but she assured me it would be fine. Turns out, I was right. So, I'm not sure if I'm even going to make that again or not. Another thing to think about!

Sorry that the pictures are so poor. It's a very gray morning here, so I couldn't get good light.