A Good Yarn

Saturday, December 04, 2004

Happy Birthday Red!

Here's proof positive that the holiday baking has begun. First up, everybody's favorite, chocolate chip cookies:

I know, not particularly Christmasy, but everyone loves chocolate chip cookies. More Christmasy are sugar cookies:

My oven is gas, which I don't really like. I prefer electric stoves/ovens. So, the heat isn't all that even and some of them got a little brown around the edges. Of course, it didn't help that I'm not very consistent in how thick I roll out the dough. Luckily, Bill loves food well-done, so if cookies get too brown, he'll eat them. And with the frosting, it won't really matter.

We finally got some snow around here last week. Finbar was born at the end of October, so I think snow reminds him of his puppy days.

He loves the stuff and runs around madly and rolls around in it. In fact, it's hard to get him to come back in the house, so I've been taking him out on a leash most times. It looked like most of the snow was melting this morning. I'd like to see a little more - enough to cover the grass and look wintery, without having to shovel massive amounts or fight traffic.

This week went way too fast. I need something to put time into suspension but still allow me to move and get things done. Monday night I went out with my friend Alissa to Pizza Luce. I can't believe I've lived here this long and never been there. Monday nights are half price wine night, so we got a nice bottle of Syrah and the Luau pizza. This is not one I'd normally be drawn to, but for some reason it was sounding great (Alissa said virtually the exact same thing). It was Canadian bacon, pineapple, fresh green onions and mozarella. It was delish! We had a great time talking and getting caught up again.

Tuesday I had a hearing in the late afternoon, so I didn't get home until late. I don't have any more hearings for two weeks. I can hardly believe it. I took advantage of the down time the rest of the week to catch up on some paperwork and other stuff around the office. However, I still didn't get my billing done, so I'll probably go into the office today and get that done. I'm really hoping they'll process the invoices and pay me before Christmas, but it's looking less likely now because it's so late. We'll see.

I did manage to finish my GAAA square, but I think I'm going to block it before I take a photo and post it. On a lot of these squares, the cabling makes the middle pull in a lot, but blocking evens it out.

It was Red's birthday yesterday. It's hard to believe how time flies. On Thursday we went bowling and played some video games. We also checked out the holiday display at Marshall Fields.

It was the first time I've ever gone to see anything in their auditorium and I'm not too sad about it. I thought it was pretty lame. We had a fun time though. Last night he opened his presents and we had cake, pretty low key. Here's a picture of Bill and Red I took last month. Happy Birthday little man!