A Good Yarn

Monday, January 31, 2005

WHAT date is it?

I'm shocked it's already the last day of January. I swear Christmas was just a week ago, wasn't it?

Renee's Restaurant Reviews

Yesterday completed the busy weekend. I met my friend Alissa at Bakery on Grand for brunch. It was my first time there and I really liked it. I had the brioche french toast and it was delicious. The restaurant is very pretty, but it's pretty crowded. We shared a big table with another couple. The other thing I didn't like is that not everything is on the menu. Alissa asked if the omelette came with potatoes and the server said no, but you could order some on the side - potatoes are not on the menu. Also, I noticed that they had cappucino, but that's not on the menu either, so I already had ordered regular coffee. I'd definitely go back though.

Alissa is thinking about moving to Boston, so we talked about that most of the time. Boston is my favorite city and if I had a chance at a good paying job there, I'd probably move to Boston. My dream would be to live on Cape Cod. I'd hate to see her leave, but it's an awesome opportunity for her. And I'd definitely be visiting.

More Shopping

I was wearing the beaded cuff with wire wrapping that I made a few months ago and Alissa loved it. So, I'm going to make one for her - her birthday is 4/1, so I may just make it for her birthday. She likes really bright colors, so I decided on orange and green. Since I was in the neighborhood, I stopped by Bobby Bead to buy some orange and green beads and the other supplies. They also had 28 Gauge Artistic Wire there, so I snapped up a couple of spools. 28 gauge is really hard to find and that's the best gauge for the Wyr Knittr. In my rant yesterday, I forgot to mention that part of the reason I don't have time to do all the projects I want to, is because I spend so much time in bead stores, yarn stores, book stores, etc. buying more projects. It's a vicious cycle, I tell you!

Family Time

I spent the rest of the afternoon at my grandfather's home. He lives in Wisconsin, about 45 - 60 minutes away from my house. I really should go see him more often because he enjoys the company so much. I also enjoy hearing his stories about his life, which he never talked about when I was younger. Now that my grandmother has passed, I think he thinks about his younger days much more.

New Project

When I got home, I cast on for "Ruffles" for the Red Scarf Project. Isn't it pretty?



This yarn is unbelievably soft. It's an unplied silk and very fragile. The label suggest putting the ball of yarn in a baggie while you're knitting. I can see that it would get worn and pilled very easily. Hopefully this is the type of scarf that wouldn't get a lot of friction. I've gotta stop petting it though!

Snow!

I woke up to a nice light snow coming down. It's so pretty! This is what I see when I look out the window, sitting here at the computer:



I wanted to get a picture of Fiona eating snow, which is her favorite thing to do outside, or Finbar rolling around in the snow, which is his favorite thing to do outside, but neither dog would cooperate with my photography attempts. They both look pretty darn cute with snow all over their faces, though!