A Good Yarn

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Ok, I'm not going to cry

I had completed almost all of this post and then IE crashed and I lost the whole thing. Well, here it is again, probably not as well written:

The extremely talented and charming Cara posted these interview questions for me:

1. So, thanks to Rock Chick, we know Bruce is a knitter. What's Bono doing in his spare time, craft-wise, while he's not rocking out with Koffi or waiting for that call from Stockholm?

We all know that knitting is perfect for those long international flights or trips on the tour bus, so perhaps he could be found knitting an Aran. He'd definitely be using either Peace Fleece, "A yarn company committed to helping historic enemies cooperate and prosper through trade. Peace Fleece offers knitting yarn made from a blend of Russian/American, Israeli and Palestinian wools", or Frog Tree Alpaca, a yarn made by a non-profit Co-op in Bolivia "to supply meaningful and continuous work to various artisans. Funds from the sale of Frog Tree Yarns support their families and worthy educational causes."


I'm sure he's wondering, "What should I cast on next?"

2. Who do you prefer: Ebert or Roeper?

Excellent question. I've been a religious view of Siskel & Ebert and now Ebert & Roeper for years. I've always loved Ebert and usually agreed with his views more than any other critic. I always read his review after I see a film and think is writing is excellent. When he had a series of guest hosts, my favorite was Michaela Periera. I also really like Elvis Mitchell. So, I wasn't very happy with the move to Richard Roeper as a full time co-host. However, he's really grown on me. I think the quality of his reviews has improved quite a lot and now I agree with him about as much as I do Ebert. If Ebert were to retire and Roeper continued the show, I probably would continue to watch it.



3. You've seen A LOT of movies - favorites? What should I see that I probably haven't? Do you ever watch movies more than once?

I'm an inveterate list maker, so here's my list of my favorite movies:



1. The Godfather and Godfather II (I know, that's cheating but it's too hard to chose one over the othe and they would be my first and second choice anyway).
2. Schindler's List
3. Blade Runner
4. Three Colors Trilogy (this is cheating too, but they really are part of a whole)
5. Gone With The Wind
6. The Usual Suspects
7. Pulp Fiction
8. Rear Window
9. Unforgiven
10. Casablanca

You should see all of these movies if you haven't, but if I had to chose one that you probably haven't seen, it's the Three Colors Trilogy (Blue, White, Red). Do see them, they're excellent and you won't regret it!

I love seeing movies more than once, if they're good. When I watch a film the first time, I'm really wrapped up in the plot and the overall effect of it. Repeated viewings allow me to focus more on the individual elements of the film. I've seen most of the films listed above dozens of times. I prefer to see films on the big screen and used to haunt the local Revival House. I think having my dogs made me want to be home more now and the internet and blogging has taken a lot of the time I used to spend there away.

4. How many Vikings have had their numbers retired? Can you name them?

There are 6. It was when I was checking my answer to this question that I crashed my computer, but I was able to name Korey Stringer, Cris Carter, Alan Page, Fran Tarkenton, Mick Tingelhoff and Jim Marshall. I thought Carl Eller's was also retired, but I guess he's just in the ring of honor, but did not have his number retired.



5. When it's super cold in the winter, is it true that you can walk underground in Minneapolis and never have to come up to ground level?

Not so much underground, but high above ground. There are some tunnels in both downtowns and at the U of M, but what people really use are the Skyways.



According to the Star Tribune, "Here's how the Minneapolis skyway numbers add up: If you walked the whole system, you'd go 5 miles, cross 62 bridges and pass almost 200 stores, 34 restaurants and dozens of coffee shops and ma-and-pa operations. From the skyways you can get to 1,500 apartments or condominiums, 4,000 hotel rooms, almost 200 million square feet of office space and about 2.5 million square feet of retail space - all without touching the ground."

I'm sure there are people who live in the suburbs who drive to work in downtown Minneapolis, park their car in a garage and walk through the skyways to their office, eat lunch and do any shopping or errands within the skyway system and at the end of the day get back in their car and drive home, all without ever breathing a breath of fresh air. Happily for me, I don't work downtown and get plenty of bone-chilling air every winter.

Back in the early 90s, Minneapolis was home to the Super Bowl. In selling our city in late January, the city promised that people would be able to get from their hotel in downtown to the Metrodome, which is right on the edge of downtown, through the skyway system, without ever having to go outside. Well, almost. The skyway still doesn't go all the way to Metrodome. However, we now have a light rail train which you can take from the heart of downtown to right outside metrodome for the grand price of $2 round trip on game days. It's only 50 cents if you're just downtown shopping.

BONUS QUESTION FOR ALL:
Money's no option, skill level's no option - what's your dream knitting project?

Definitely a cashmere cabled sweater.