A Good Yarn

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Too Many Thoughts

First, let's start with the positivity. I've made a little progress on Lucky:



I love this yarn. It's so soft and supple. I'll definitely need to block this lace to even out the clover pattern. This is hard to photograph because the yarn is so dark, so I probably won't post a ton of pictures of this one.

On a more negative note, I'm sure you've heard about the school shooting on the Red Lake Reservation. I have so many thoughts about this that it's hard to even know what to say. Since I mostly work with Native American youth, this one really hits home with me. This child clearly was very disturbed. This incident brings to mind the many challenges facing Native American people - the high unemployment rate, the chemical dependency and mental health issues, the lack of resources to address these issues. And the general lack of attention to children and the emphasis on not raising taxes, regardless of the impact of those decisions.