A Good Yarn

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Knitting

I was going to post an update yesterday, but blogger was down for 2 hours for maintenance in the middle of the afternoon. Maintenance is good, but can't you do it in the middle of the night like other sites?

I have actually been knitting again. Here's the first snake scarf re-configured so it's the right width:



It's missing the bottom of head, which is a lighter color since snakes are lighter on the belly. I didn't have anything appropriate in stash, so I stopped by Needlework Unlimited and picked up some needlepoint yarn to use. I think it looks pretty good, though. The garter edge was flipping up so I got it wet and pinned it down, as you can see. NU was having a Rowan trunk show, which included 15% off any Rowan yarn. I managed to resist since I have so many projects stacked up, but there were a few really pretty but tiny sweaters in the trunk show. Rowan just doesn't design for larger ladies. Even their "plus size" book doesn't go up that large. I'm still going to buy it though - they're big enough for me. There are a couple of pictures on the NU website of sweaters in the trunk show. That cabled sweater was my favorite, but I think it was about a 32" chest size.

In non-knitting news, there is a documentary film festival going on here this week. I'm so excited! Friday night I saw an awesome doc called "Why We Fight". It's inspired by Dwight D. Eisenhower's farewell speech where he coined the term "Military-Industrial complex". Ike warned the American people about the danger of this growing threat to democracy and said that the only thing to counteract it would be an "alert and knowledgeable citizenry." Looks like Ike knew his stuff. The film explores why our country is set up to constantly fight wars - not just Iraq, but every administration since WWII has found some excuse to keep the military amped up. The difference now, though, is that there's a 4th party to the Military-Industrial complex (the military, the defense industry and the Congress) - the think tanks. One of the great interviews in the film was with Karen Kwiatkowski, an air force officer for 20 years who became completely disheartened by seeing American policy set by un-elected policy analysts who manipulated the intelligence information to justify invading Iraq. Her plain speaking and intelligent voice is so refreshing. Other memorable people in the film are a NYC police officer who lost his son in 9/11 and wanted payback for the tragedy and a 23-year-old Army recruit seeking a new parent in the guise of the Army after his mother's death. The film is fascinating, entertaining, depressing and motivating all at the same time. It was picked up by Sony Pictures, so it will get a wide release in January - if it plays in your local art house, I highly recommend it.

And, just because he's so darn handsome, here's my pup:



He was searching for the rabbit that was in the backyard, but got away. I took a picture of the rabbit too, because it sat in the yard for the longest time before finally being chased away. Unfortunately, the rabbit picture was damaged. Finbar's still cute, though, in his pointer stance.