A Good Yarn

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Not Knitting

I haven't been knitting much at all the last couple of weeks. I've just been too busy to sit down and relax. I have been indulging "my sickness" though:



I haven't been buying clothes lately, but I bought a ton of knitting magazines. How awesome!! When I first started knitting, there was only a handful of magazines - IWK, VK, Knitters and Fashion Knitting which is now Knit Style. I've never been a huge fan of that last magazine. Knitter's Digest was around too, but I don't think I've ever bought that magazine - just not my style. Since they only came out 4 times a year, I'd be "jonesing" for a knitting mag all the time. This week I picked up an English magazine - Creative Knitting. I also got the new Knit It and the new magazine Knitscene. I also picked up the latest InKnitters and got my Cast On in the mail. I passed by one magazine - k.1 or Knit Style, I think. So awesome!!

I also picked up some lace weight for a shawl:



This stuff is so nice and soft and so cheap! Love it!!

I got the November kit for the Bead Knitting Group too:



Such a cute bead knitted leaf bracelet. I bought three different colorways just because I couldn't choose.

I did knit a little bit while watching the Vikings embarrass themselves again, but I spent more time putzing around the house. I started the hooded sweater my sister requested with the Knit Picks yarn. I really like this yarn. I have to knit it a bit loose to get gauge, but I think it'll be ok. So far it's just a big hunk of stockinette stitch, so no boring photos. I had Book Club on Sunday too. I only got about 1/4 of the way through the book, so I couldn't contribute much to the discussion, but I still had fun. I think I'm still going to try to finish "Pope Joan". I'm liking it so far.

With Halloween it's kind of hard to knit because I have to keep getting up and sitting down. I had a pretty good number of kids. I bought some Halloween colors on clearance two years ago and finally got rid of all of those this year, along with some candy. I still have a bunch of candy left - oh darn!

Last night my friend Deepa showed me how to crochet - here's the granny square I made:



Crochet is very quick and easy! Deepa was an awesome teacher and even gave me a sample and handout to take home. I wanted to learn to crochet after falling in love with the Turkish scarf in "Scarf Style". Now I'll have to pick up the yarn and try my hand at an actual crochet project. Oh, and start knitting again.