A Good Yarn

Thursday, November 17, 2005

More Documentary Madness

Yes, I'm a crazy docu-fiend. Last night I saw this:



I'd give this one a mixed review - probably a B-. This was actually one of the selections at the Film Festival last week, but Greg wanted to see it too and he wasn't available when it played last week. We had seen a preview when we saw The Artistocrats and it looked pretty funny. And then Sarah Silverman was one of the funniest people in The Artistocrats, so we decided we had to check it out.

The film is mostly Sarah Silverman doing her standup routine, which a few musical numbers and "back stage" skits thrown in. The performance parts were mostly pretty good. She's really funny and smart. Her humor is very out there - part of the humor is the difference between the horrible things she says and the way she says them. Here's this beautiful woman speaking in a very natural, smooth way and saying some of the most outrageous things you can think of. It's pretty funny. Most of the skits were pretty lame though. It's only a little over an hour long and the editing is a little rough. The ending comes pretty unexpectedly, I think in part because it's so short, you're expecting more. The short scene after the end credits was pretty hilarious and Sarah Silverman isn't even in it.

I finished up the second sleeve on Lucky after I got home. I started on the ribbed band, which is over 60" long, so that should be a mindless, boring knit. Maybe I'll bring it to the AK group so I'm distracted by the chatting and laughing.