A Good Yarn

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

HFO

I have a Half Finished Object - the first sock of a pair:



These are my "car knitting". The pattern is from Socks, Socks, Socks. I used a self-striping yarn instead of following the manual striping in the pattern. I steam blocked it with my steamer, which worked like a charm! The stitches are set so nicely now. I do not like the fair isle heart pattern on the leg, though - it doesn't have the same give as the rest of the sock and is the fattest part of my leg. Hopefully it'll fit well on someone with thinner calves.

Every year I try to see all the movies that are nominated for the major Academy Awards. This weekend I saw this one:



It was ok. It's a pretty light movie. I'm sure if the Windmill Theater were something I was familiar with and had fond memories of, I would have connected more. Judi Dench is nominated for Best Actress for her work in this film and I thought she was just ok. I really like her a lot, but I didn't feel like this character was much of a stretch for her.

On Saturday I checked out The Yarn Garage. Wow. This is a very different yarn store. It's jam-packed full of fun and interesting stuff. There are lots and lots of different yarns stuff in everywhere from floor to ceiling. It was somewhat overwhelming to me. There also is other fun stuff like vintage clothes and necklaces. There are a lot of cool bags and notions. The store is split into two different rooms and attached to a flower store, so the middle room smells like heaven. The owner, Stephen, is incredibly nice and helpful. There were a ton of really cool yarns, but I managed to limit myself to just a couple of things.



This is Mango Moon Wooly. It's a bit rustic, but I couldn't resist when I read the label, "Provides safe shelter, health care and education to women in Nepal". Of course I loved the green and yellow color, too. I'll probably felt a bag with this stuff, so it doesn't matter that it's not all that soft. As you can see, it smells a bit wooly, which Finbar loved!



On the other hand, this stuff is really nice and soft. It's Artyarns Ultramerino 8. Such a nice hand and beautiful colors. I bought enough for a scarf. I also bought a cute bag from Lantern Moon:



I love Lantern Moon stuff and I don't have many bags this big, so I think I'll use this a lot when KIPing on sweaters. I also was positively pre-disposed to buying a Lantern Moon product because I just had a fantastic experience with their Customer Service people. It also is a company that gives education and income to local women - this time in Vietnam.