A Good Yarn

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Project Spectrum Swap

I received a box of goodies from my PS Swap partner, Heather, yesterday. It couldn't have come at a better time because I was really bummed out when I found out how much I owe in taxes.



I was delighted when I opened the box! You can kind of see the orange and yellow crinkly paper that everything was packed in - it was a feast for the eyes when I opened it up. From left to right, the contents are:

A jelly bean carrot
Yellow Peeps
Harvest Spice Votive Candles
Manner Lemon Cream Wafers
A Lined Notebook that says "hi" on the front
Liquid Beadz
Yellow and Orange stitch markers
Twinings Lemon & Ginger Herbal Tea
A polka-dotted "R" magnet
Hot Curry Powder
Cayenne Pepper
and the piece de resistance - some of her yarn in the "Tangerine and Lemon" Colorswap colorway!

I have to admit, when I saw that I was paired with Heather, I was really hoping that she'd send me some of her gorgeous yarn. Heather is a wizard at the dyepot and the yarn is really soft and beautiful in person. Here's a closer picture of the yarn - sorry it's not clearer. I would have taken another picture but my batteries died.



She did an awesome job with everything, though - I'm totally gobsmacked! I have to admit I was feeling a bit sad about being a grownup and not getting an Easter basket any more and Heather took care of that with the fun candy - plus I really love those Manner wafers. I always burn candles, so those will be put to good use. My love affair with beaded stitch markers is well documented on this blog and these are some beauts! I've been wanting to try those Liquid Beadz, so I can't wait to come up with a project for that. She hit all my loves - knitting, beads, paper craft and cooking. And the magnet will be proudly displayed on the filing cabinet next to my desk - it's so cute and polka dotty! I'm just so thrilled with everything - what a fantastic swap!! Thanks so much Heather for being a great partner and Lynne for creating and organizing this amazing fun! Signups for May are already closed, but I'd highly recommend signing up for June. Especially if you want to try out a swap for the first time - it's only one exchange and you have the same partner for giving and receiving. Plus, it's super fun to shop in a color theme!



I've also been knitting in the Spectrum. I still couldn't get a good picture of it, but here's my orange hat:



Next time I'll try taking it outside and see if I can get a better picture. It's a cable and moss stitch hat for a baby in Alchemy Bamboo.

I also started my Wobbly Circles Tote last night:



It looks very retro with the harvest gold, avocado and rust colors. I bumped up to a size 11 needle since I'm using LP Bulky and want to give the fibers room to move around and grab onto each other when felting. That means I think it'll be a little wider than the original bag is, but that's ok. I would have gotten more done last night, but just as I sat down to knit, this guy came over to me:



He had a ham bone sticking out the side of his mouth. He had been chewing on it and got it stuck on his teeth. I couldn't get it loose, so I took him in to the emergency vet where they popped it right off. His gum is a little torn up, but otherwise I think he's no worse for wear.