A Good Yarn

Monday, August 07, 2006

Wizardry, mommihood and on the fringe

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on my camera. I still haven't received the new one yet, so I'm not completely sure what I'm going to do. I'm going to see how much better it is than the old camera before deciding. Both Greg and Bill think I should just keep my old camera - either as a backup or in my car for when I forget to take a camera. Family stuff. I'm still thinking about giving it to Laura, though.

Anyway, I've been very busy since my last post. I have a lot to blog about and as usual, I probably won't get to all of it. On Saturday I did a little yarn shopping and bought the most soft, luxurious cashmere I've ever felt. I'll post photos of that later.

Sunday, Greg, Michael and I went to the Ribfest. It was hotter than Hades, so there was hardly anyone there. We didn't have to stand in line for more than a minute or two. However, it was too hot for me to really enjoy eating something heavy like ribs. We had a few different kinds that were new to this year's fair. The band playing while we were there was "Beatlemania", so at least the music was good.

Michael stayed with me for the rest of the week so that he could attend Wizard's Camp from the Science Museum. It was a big change for me to play "mommy" for a week. I'm used to keeping my own schedule, for the most part, and just doing whatever I want whenever I want. But Michael had to be to camp by 8:00, so I had to get up at 6:30. Which meant I had to try to get to bed a bit earlier. And no knitting group on Wednesay night, either. It was fun to have him staying with me, though. Ben was also in Wizard Camp (which is why Michael decided to go), so I picked both boys up at the end of the day every day. On Monday night I took them to the Chatterbox Pub for dinner and they played videogames and Connect Four. Then we all played "Life". They seemed to have a ball there. Tuesday night was our usual get together with Red. The heat FINALLY broke and it was raining, so we went bowling. The bank lost a deposit I made, so I had to frantically rush to both of my banks before they closed to try to get things straightened out - the boys were so patient. We still got to the bowling alley early enough to bowl a game before Red and the rest of the gang got there. Wednesday night Michael and I did a little shopping and had dinner. Michael likes to do arts and crafts and of course Greg isn't really into that kind of stuff, so we had a lot of fun both picking out projects this week and working on some stuff. As to be expected, I ended up buying him a lot more projects to do than he could finish. But he'll have some stuff to pass the time before school starts in the fall. I think his favorite was latch hook, which I also loved to do when I was 10. He showed definite interest in knitting too, so I think it's only a matter of time! Thursday night the Fringe Festival started, so we took in a Fringe show - here's a picture of us that appeared on the festival website:

Friday night Michael had a sleepover at Ben and Red's house and they went to the Washington County Fair. I wanted to check out some more Fringe shows, so I skipped it, but I went with Red, Bill, Beth and Katie on Saturday. Michael went to his mom's for the weekend and Ben was at his dad's. So now, my childcare duties are over and I was able to sleep in this morning, as usual. The county fair was fun. I was going to post one of Bill's pictures, but everything with me in them is hideous. It wasn't as hot as it's been, but I was still sweating up a storm.

The rest of my weekend was taken up by the Fringe Festival. I bought an ultrapass this year, so I'm just going to as many shows as I can. If anyone is interested in recommendations for shows or has any recommendations for me, drop me a line. I won't bore everyone else with my reviews of the shows.

This post is getting a bit long, so I'll close now. Next time I'll post some knitted stuff, including my finished Nora.