A Good Yarn

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Il Est Fini!

I finished up my red scarf in plenty of time - it's only the 24th! ;-)



Project Name: His/Hers Reversible Scarf
Designer: Melissa Leapman
Pattern Source: Cables Untangled
Yarn: RYC Cashsoft DK
Yarn Source: The Tangled Skein + 1 skein from The Yarnery
Date Started: 1/6/07
Date Completed: 1/24/07

Comments: I knitted this for The Red Scarf Project. Since most of the work I do involves working with child in out-of-home placement, I have a special fondness for anything that helps kids who have aged out of foster care. I wish I had started earlier and been able to knit more scarves, but I had that Christmas knitting to do. Maybe next year. I bought this yarn on a road trip to The Tangled Skein (I was doing a home visit way in the far southern metro and the mom wouldn't come to the door, so I figured since I was already most of the way to St. Peter, I may as well make use of the time). I bought it specifically with a red scarf in mind. I thought 3 skeins would be enough, but with the cabling and all, I needed a 4th skein. I didn't want to drive all the way down there again, so I just picked up a skein at The Yarnery in a different dye lot. They looked the same, but when I started knitting I thought I could see a difference, so I started alternating the balls. I can't tell any difference at all, so either that worked really well, or they really are the same and I was just being paranoid. Either way, I like how it turned out. It's just under the 60" called for (58"), but close enough. It's 6" wide. I absolutely adore this yarn and really want to make myself a sweater out of it. My first project started and finished in 2007.

I also just finished reading our latest book club selection:



I really liked this book a lot. It's about an American woman who is a member of the Weather Underground in the 60s. Because of her participation in those activities, she is wanted by the FBI, so she lives under an alias. She ends up going to Liberia, where she marries and has a family. The story spans from the 60s to the 2000s, flashing back and forward a bit. It's told by the character in about 2002 or so, living in America again, about her experiences. I used to represent clients seeking political asylum and all of my clients were from Liberia, so I already knew something about Liberia and the civil war there. Most of the book is told before the civil war, though. I really was caught up in the story and wanted to find out what happened to this woman and her family. Sometimes I was annoyed with her, finding her petty and immature, but that's what made her so real. I love novels that combine the personal story with a larger political story - like Barbara Kingsolver's novels do. Russell Banks is also really great at that.