A Good Yarn

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

That was fun!

I had such a blast watching the Super Bowl on Sunday. Since the little man playing Purple Rain on a purple guitar is probably the closest I'm ever going to come to seeing the Vikings in the Super Bowl, I was really excited about the Colts. Like everyone, I was a bit worried when Hester ran it back for a TD on the kick off, but from then on, things looked up. We went to a local bar and there seemed to be more Bears fans around. We were right next to another table of Colts fans and one guy was nice enough to buy us drinks, since we were in it together. I brought some knitting just in case it was a blow out, but I never took it out after I put it away during the national anthem.

Still in the football spirit, I finished up my soon to be nephew's hat last night:



Project Name: Football hat
Designer: Susan B. Anderson
Pattern Source: Itty Bitty Hats
Yarn: GGH Samoa
Yarn Source: Zandy's
Date Started: 1/29/07
Date Completed: 2/5/07

Comments: I bought the yarn for this during the 2006 Treasure Hunt.
The tan I bought to make the football was way too light (what was I thinking?) so I ended up using some Tahki Cotton Classic left over from the mitered square blanket. For those who aren't familiar with football, the hat is shaped like the old-fashioned leather football helmets used to be.

I also saw a movie this weekend:



I really didn't care for this movie. As I've mentioned before, I'm really not comfortable with the portrayal of adults having sex with teenagers, which I knew was part of this film - the scandal in the title. I thought it would only be a very small part and wouldn't bother me, but it did. It also just seemed really over the top and lurid to me. Cate Blanchett plays a new art teacher who catches the eye of almost everyone in the school. Judi Dench is the veteran teacher who helps out the struggling novice, befriends her and falls in love and becomes totally obsessed. Blanchett begins a sexual relationship with one of her students, I guess because she's bored with her older husband (played by Bill Nighy) and children. At first Dench is enraged when she finds out about this relationship, because she sees it as a betrayal of her own relationship with Blanchett, but then she realizes she can use this information to manipulate Blanchett. This is one of those films where you know pretty much everything about it if you've seen the previews. So there were very few surprises for me. A lot of it didn't make a whole lot of sense, logically. I also really thought both Dench and Blanchett were over the top in their acting, though both are nominated for Academy Awards. There's one moment in particular when Blanchett is confronting the press where I really thought she went too far and I had to roll my eyes. The film has gotten some great reviews, so obviously others have enjoyed it far more than I did, but both my friend and I thought it was silly.