A Good Yarn

Sunday, October 17, 2004

What Did You Expect?

When I meet other knitters in a Yarn Store, I'm going to end up buying yarn. Needed? No, of course not. Desired? Absolutely.

TCAK get together yesterday at Borealis Yarns. They were very nice to allow us to use their big table at the front of the store for our gathering in between their Saturday classes. Luckily, only 4 of us were gathered, otherwise we may not have all fit. The coffee shop next door (which is delightful and they allowed us to bring food and drink into the yarn shop) has a couple of big sofas, so we could have moved over there with 6 people. We're probably going to move around from month to month though. I think that would only be fair, considering some folks are from the far eastern metro and some from the far western metro.

I didn't get all that much knitting done, mostly because I was late getting there and then I was distracted by all the great books and yarn around me. Here's what I got:



I love Lara, which many bloggers have been making, but the cost would be prohibitive to make one big enough for me. Plus, I'd have to do all the math to upsize it. So, I bought 6 skeins and I'll make some sort of scarf - perhaps out of my new Scarf Style book. This yarn is absolutely heavenly!

I always got this:



Couldn't resist the sparkles! I'll probably make some socks.

Then this:



I was thinking about using this for some beaded cuffs, which will be appearing in this space shortly, but I may use some Debbie Bliss Cashmerino instead. We'll see.

Afterwards, Kerry and I went over to Depth of Field so she could get some additional yarn for a poncho she's knitting and be tempted by other projects. I found some pink cotton that isn't quite the same color I need for the Florentine Flattery, but it's close, so I'm ordering it just in case I find nothing better. I saw an old friend, Sandi there too, which was awesome. I haven't seen her in a long time so it was great to catch up a little. I bought nothing else, so I was proud of myself!

I then headed over to the "I Love a Deal"/Target Direct Warehouse Sale. Years ago these sales were awesome - they included a number of catalogs, including the Wireless catalog, and had great clothes, gifts, jewelry, etc. Once Target bought them out, things kind of went downhill. They keep saying it's going to be the last one, but they keep having them. There really wasn't much and what there was wasn't priced very low, but electronics were half price, so I got a digital camera for a pretty good, though not great, price.

When I finally got home, I was exhausted, but I wanted to cook and take a picture for the Bloggers Cookbook. I made Saigon Beef and it didn't turn out very well - OF COURSE. I cut up a haberno chile and then touched my face and it was BURNING UP!! Even today it burns if I touch my lips or eyes, or whatever - use rubber gloves if handling habanero chiles!