A Good Yarn

Sunday, November 07, 2004

The Best Laid Plans...

Well, this isn't turning out to be the relaxing or productive weekend I had hoped. As faithful readers know, the last few weeks have been extremely busy and I kept saying, "after the election, after the election." Well, it's finally after the election and I didn't have much planned, so I thought I might be able to veg out, watch tv and knit and also get a little housework done. I have a pile of laundry that is completely embarrasing.

Friday night I managed to wash a few dishes and do a little laundry. I also worked on the beaded cuffs. I came across a knot when I was knitting with Kerry and Susan on Wednesday - the plies were knotted together, so it was an "internal" knot. I tried to work it out for about 25 minutes on Wednesday, but I eventually broke the yarn. I got all the beads re-strung and started up again. I'm not quite done yet, though.

Yesterday I was scheduled to do apheresis at the Red Cross. My dad always gave blood, so I've always thought it was an important thing to do. I have a very high iron level in my blood, so last year the Red Cross asked me to switch from whole blood donation to apheresis. My sister was just on her way to Iraq, which seemed like a huge sacrifice, which she really had no choice about making. I decided this would be a good way for me to give back, too. It usually takes about 2 hours or so.

Unfortunately, my dad not only passed along the desire to give blood, but tiny veins that make it difficult to do so, depending on who's doing the poking. They had trouble getting into my vein on the first arm and eventually gave up and tried the other one. Not a problem, but the whole process ended up being almost 3 hours. Plus I have big bruises on both arms, now - I look like a junky. No heavy exercise, so I decided bagging up the leaves would have to wait.

I always read during my donation - other than during travel, it's the only time I can really set aside a big block of time to just read. I was able to get a lot done on my new book club selection. I'm an incredibly slow reader, so it can be a struggle to get a book done for book club. For long ones, like this one, I figure out how much I need to read each week in order to be done in time for book club. I'm right on track, now. So far I'm liking the book pretty well. My friend, Florence, doesn't really like it - the language is too flowery and it's too melodramatic for her tastes. I'm sort of getting into the plot, but it is fairly slow moving.

Red and Bill are going to Disneyworld on Monday, so I headed over to Target to put together a little package of snacks and activities for Red to take on the plane. I can never get out of Target quickly (or cheaply), so that chewed up most of the rest of the afternoon. I also went to Border's to get some books for him and checked out the new Interweave Knits. There wasn't much in there I liked, so I'm going to pass on that issue.

Since I won't see them for another week, I invited Red and Bill to a movie. This is what we saw:



It wasn't as good as I was hoping, but the animation was really good. Red really liked it, especially the boy who could run fast.

The Vikes don't play until Monday night, so hopefully today I'll be able to watch some of the other games, get some knitting done and squeeze in some housework. I'm really pathetic - good thing I don't entertain and live alone. The dogs don't seem to mind the dust bunnies. Tonight my favorite show returns.