A Good Yarn

Friday, November 05, 2004

TGIF!

This week did go incredibly fast, despite the disappointment of most of the week - starting with the Vikings' humiliating defeat on Sunday and my own losses in fantasy football. Wednesday I went into the office and got a bit done in the morning, then I went over to my friend Kerry's house and ate a lovely lunch and knit with her and Susan. Check out Susan's blog for some pictures of the afternoon. I finished the first sleeve for Florentine Flattery and have about 1/3 of a skein left. I swear there must be more of this yarn around somewhere because I had a whole bag full when I bought it. I don't know where it could possibly be, so I guess I just used it up faster than I thought. Anyway, here's the sleeve:



I finally found Brennan's Knit Shop and checked out the "Cotton Room", but no luck. There was one cotton yarn that was similar, but the pink was all wrong. I was all set to buy something else to support this store, but I was really put off by it. When I arrived, no one was in the store for the first 6 or 7 minutes. I guess I could have taken off with a load of yarn, but that's not really my style. The whole store really smelled damp and musty. When Mrs. Brennan (I assume) did finally emerge from the back room or something, she seemed very antsy to have me leave. So, I didn't buy anything.

I picked up the pink cotton I ordered from Depth of Field, but I decided that the first pink yarn I bought from The Yarnery matched better, so I'm going with that. I came up with the brainstorm to frog some of the back and knit the second sleeve with that yarn and then use the off color for the back. I can't see the back, so it will bother me less than having one sleeve a different color than the other. It's annoying that I'll have to re-do all that work, but not as annoying as not finishing this project or not wearing it because I'm constantly bothered by the different colored sleeves.

I made a little trip to Needlework Unlimited to check out their cotton too, although I was pretty sure I had already checked there, but since I was sort of in the neighborhood.... No luck on the cotton, but I did find a number of Heartstrings beaded sock patterns that I've had my eye on for a while. I figured since I didn't have to pay for shipping, I might as well buy the patterns now. And I couldn't resist this Lorna's Laces sock yarn - it's my two favorite colors, purple and lime green!



On Wednesday night I went out for dinner with my brother. We got sushi at Katsu Sushi and then saw David Sedaris at the Fitzgerald Theater. It was a great evening. It's always a pleasure to spend time with Greg and Mr. Sedaris was hilarious. If you haven't read his books, I highly recommend them. It was also really nice to be in the company of a large group of fellow liberals. There's something comforting about not feeling so alone.

The hardest part of the post-election days has been the emails I've received thanking me for my hard work and support from places like Election Protection, Move On, the Kerry-Edwards campaign, Wellstone Action and the DFL Party. It's so depressing to think of how hard everyone worked and still we're stuck with a man who's already talking about privatizing Social Security. It's been really great to read my regular knitblogs, though, and again not feel so alone. I must just gravitate towards people like me, because it seems like most every blog I read includes feelings of disappointment over the election and real caring for the people who will be effected, along with the beautiful knitting. When you see those huge expanses of RED on the map, you start to feel out of step, but when you're at an event like the David Sedaris show or reading the blogs I've been reading or talking to friends, you realize there's lots and lots of us out there.

Life gets back to normal with yarn to knit up and football to watch. I sent out a couple of RAOKs today. And of course, played with my pups. We were all in the back yard and they had a lot of fun running around. I'll leave you with a couple of action shots: