A Good Yarn

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

For my secret pal....

I know I said I'd re-post my Secret Pal questionnaire this weekend, but I was having too much fun posting about my fun weekend. Alas, the free time is over, so here it is. I did update it for this go around.

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer high-end/natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?

I have yarn snob tendencies, but I've used Lion Brand yarns quite a bit. I don't like something that feels really plasticky, which most of the Red Heart yarns do to me.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

Neither. I have very basic crochet skills, so I've occasionally added crochet trim to a knitted piece, but I don't regularly crochet. And no matter how hard you people try, I'm not going to spin! :-)

3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)

As I sit here at my desk and look out the window, I see all manner of stuff falling off the trees and floating in the air, which drives my allergies crazy. Therefore I'm on allergy medication a lot, which takes care of any other allergies. I am allergic to pets, but I have two dogs, so it's all under control.

4. How long have you been knitting?

9 years

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?

Yes, I do.

6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

Lilac is my favorite. I also like lily of the valley, rose, peony, gardenia and hydrangea. I tend toward florals (obviously) and try to stay away from food scents because they just make me hungry :-) And I love candles and soaps, by the way.


7. Do you have a sweet tooth?

Yeah. I LOVE anything sweet. Like most girls, I'm addicted to chocolate, but really, anything sweet is right up my ally. I'm like an 8 year old when it comes to junk food.

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

As you can see from this blog, I like crafty things in general. I do a lot of paper crafts (scrapbooking, card making, rubberstamping, etc.). I also do a lot of beading. I love to cook. I used to do a lot of cake decorating, but there are so many local bakeries that I want to support, I've sort of stopped doing that much. I have done some quilting, but I'm not that good at it. I did a lot of counted cross stitch before I started knitting. I like to do glass etching for gifts. Get me into a craft store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby and I can be happy for hours.

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if you want to make her a CD)

Yes, my computer plays MP3s. I'm all over the place when it comes to music - I have very eclectic tastes. I'd say my favorites are modern rock, 80s new wave, 70s soul, classic rock. However, I really listen to most anything. I'd love a "mix tape" type of thing introducing me to your favorite music.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer?

My favorite color by far is purple. I'm crazy about purple and wear purple probably 4-5 days per week. I also am crazy about lime green and bright pink right now. I tend to like bright, jewel colors and stay away from pastels.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

Single gal. I have two doggies, which are prominently featured on the blog.

12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)

I've got the big dreams - world peace, elimination of poverty, protect children from abuse or neglect, etc.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

I'm really a slut when it comes to yarn - as long as it's not too plasticky or too scratchy, I'll knit with it. My all time favorite yarn to knit with was a cashmere I knit a scarf and gloves with - man was that soft! I tend to be attracted to soft yarns and bright colors. I really love 1824 Wool, most of the Berroco yarns, Noro, K1C2. I like cottons because they are so pretty and feel so nice. I like the fluffy/eyelashy type of yarns. Yarns without give don't bother me the way they do some people - I even knit with wire. When I went to MDSW in May, I gravitated towards the really soft, luxurious fibers - silk, merino wool, cashmere.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

The only thing I don't like is the plasticky acrylic types.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

I tend to be influenced by the trends in the knitting world, so whatever everyone else is knitting, I want to knit too. Right this minute I'm really into tank top patterns, because it's hot out and I want to knit a tank top out of the ribbon I got from Tess' Designer Yarns. I'm also sort of obsessed with beaded stitch markers. Love them! Any kind of little knitting tool makes me happy!

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I guess sweaters, since that's what I knit the most of. I'd try most anything, though.

17. What are you knitting right now?


I'm having a bit of a problem finishing anything lately. I'm usually only actively working on three things at a time, but after running out of yarn for a cabled cotton sweater (Florentine Flattery), I put it down and worked on trying to find a good substitute or dying some yarn to match or something. I didn't have much luck, so I decided to just finish it off with the non-matching yarn I have and live with it. The other things I was already working on when I made that decision were:

1. Mariah from Knitty - another pink cabled sweater, but this time in merino wool with a zipper up the front! Fun!!

2. Hearts Sweater from the cover of Tadpoles and Tiddlers. I am knitting this up for a friend's granddaughter. It's really big, so she'll be able to wear it for a while!

3. Lucky Clover Lace Wrap Sweater from SNB Nation. This is knit on very small needles with thin yarn, so it's taking me a while.

Both Mariah and Lucky are knit alongs, so you see what I mean about wanting to knit what everyone else is knitting....

Technically, I've been working on the Knitters Magazine Great American Aran Afghan off and on for a couple of years now. I work squares in between other projects when I'm not exactly sure what to cast on next. I also always have a pair of socks stashed in my trunk as "car knitting" - for when I'm stuck in line somewhere or waiting for someone, etc.

18. What do you think about ponchos?

I tried on a bunch of ponchos at Nordstrom and they didn't look good on me because I'm so big - it's just a big expanse of fabric. Plus, I feel like the poncho craze is pretty much played out. However, I'm knitting a poncho now (oh yeah, add that to the in-progress knitting), so I'm not opposed to them. I knit half of that poncho for my niece and then realized it was too small for her. So, I bought her a poncho instead (which I hear she wore like crazy) and this poncho will be for another little girl I know, as soon as I knit up the other half.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

Circular, by far. Although I prefer double pointed needles to the magic loop or 2 circular needle method.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Ebony is my preference. I use Addi Turbos quite a bit too. For DPNs I prefer bamboo.


21. Are you a sock knitter?

I guess technically you'd have to say yes. I have knit socks and I intend to knit more socks. However, when I hear "sock knitter", I think of those folks who are obssessed about knitting socks and knit lots and lots of pairs, and that isn't me.

22. How did you learn to knit?

A Community Ed class.


23. How old is your oldest UFO?

I guess that GAAA would be it, but I don't really consider it a UFO because I'm still working on it periodically. I also have a scarf made of unspun silk which is very time consuming, so I've been working on that for a couple of years too, but again, I'm not sure it qualifies as a UFO, because I only work on it periodically on purpose. I consider a UFO a project that gets set aside so you can work on something else - I never intended to make this as a regular project.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

Wallace & Gromit:



My favorite animal is obviously the Shetland Sheepdog, since I have two of them!

25. What is your favorite holiday?

I like them all. I don't really have a favorite. The best, I guess is Christmas because of all the good will, the great food, getting together with friends and family and keeping in touch with cards, and of course buying and receiving gifts! I also love Valentine's Day because I love candy and there's lots of stuff with hearts on it and I love hearts. I love St. Patrick's Day because I'm Irish and love to celebrate it. 4th of July is great because I love fireworks and summer is a very precious commodity in Minnesota. I love Halloween because I love candy (again) and I like the images - witches, ghosts, black cats, etc.

26. Is there anything that you collect?

The biggest thing I collect these days is Yarn. Although it's not really a collection since I'm not trying to fulfill certain categories or anything - I just get what I like. I do have a collection of small tape measures. These days you can find so many different designs of measuring tapes. They're super cute and of course you always need them with knitting.

I have a little collection of Wallace & Gromit stuff. I have a lot of stuff with the Vikings logo on it. I like hedgehogs a lot, so I have a few of those. I used to work with hedgehogs at the zoo, so I sort of collected them at that point. At various times I've collected gorillas, pigs and penguins. Collections are really big in my family, so I've dabbled in collecting.

Oh, I used to collect stuff with Mickey Mouse on it too, so I've got some Mickey Mouse stuff. I have a lot of posters for "The Godfather". I have a pretty good collection of action figures - most of them from The X Files, but other various movies I like too. I have a lot of wreaths around the house, so I guess that's sort of a collection too. Gosh, I think I have a sickness! I had to move into a much smaller office last year, so a lot of my "collections" got boxed up.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

At one time or another I think I've subscribed to them all. I think right now I just have a subscription to Vogue Knitting and Family Circle Easy Knits. Oh, and Cast On because I belong to the TKGA.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?

I love books and I've got a lot them! I do have some of my most wanted on my Amazon wish list.

Anyway, that's me. Generally, I like most anything girly. Love anything sparkly, shiny, beaded, etc. Love candy, candles, soaps. I have an obsession with office supplies, so cool pens or paper or stuff is great. And, of course, I'm a dedicated knitter. Anything that is from your particular part of the country would be cool. Thanks for being my secret pal!!!