A Good Yarn

Monday, February 20, 2006

Another Catch up Post

Once again, the week just flew by so I have a big long post of stuff. I know it's more fun to read a bunch of little posts, so I apologize in advance. Valentine's Day was a nice day. I had dinner with Bill and his family and then went to my film class where we had nice treats. I got some very nice Valentine's:



This one is my favorite, probably my all time favorite:



I love that kid!

Wednesday was my usual knit night, and I almost finished the first sleeve on my sister's cardigan. I'll wait to show a picture until I actually finish it though. I may be able to get this to her in near proximity to her birthday! I stopped by JoAnn's etc. and found the type of wooden toggle buttons I've been looking for.

Thursday I took a Chalking class at Archiver's. As I've mentioned here before, I don't really like to use chalks. I had originally signed up for a Valentine's class but I had to work so I couldn't make it so I took this class as a makeup. I really liked the papers and ribbons we worked with and ended up buying a lot of the paper:





I may try doing this technique with the chalk pad that I used in another class instead of the traditional chalks. I just find them too messy and I like bolder colors and more precise lines better.

Saturday was our monthly AK Knit Together. We met at Yarn Cafe this time and as usual, it was a wonderful day. It was bonechilling cold outside, but toasty warm on the couches next to the fireplace. I probably could have stayed there all day. I managed to only buy the new Nicky Epstein felted bags book, the new Interweave Knits and a green clear Chibi. I almost finished the double knit scarf, but I'm going to wait to show that until it's finished also.

In the evening I saw this film:



This is a French thriller about a man who hosts a tv talk show about books. He's married and has a son. He starts receiving videotapes that show he is being watched and filmed. The tapes eventually lead him to someone from his childhood. I have to admit when I first left the theater I was very disatisfied. The film ends very abruptly and there's no real clear solution to who is sending the videotapes and what all the film means. However, my friend and I talked about it all the way home and there were people standing outside the theater hashing it out too. Any film that keeps you talking and keeps you that involved is good. As soon as I got home I jumped on the internet to get more info and try to sort everything out. I'm still not 100% sure about it, but I've got my theories and I am still thinking about it days later, so I like it more and more. There's a whole layer of political ideology in the film that I missed in part because I'm dense and in part because I'm not that familiar with French politics. There was often news about the middle east and war in Iraq in the background I knew that was meaningful, but I just didn't connect the dots at first. So, if you enjoy challenging material that really makes you think, I highly recommend Cache.

Sunday was my nephew's birthday party. I made him this cake:



My brother had this cake when he was a boy and Michael wanted to have it for his birthday. My step-mom still had the pan, so I was happy to make his wish come true. I heard him tell Red that I had made the cake especially for him, so I think he was pretty happy. The party was fun and Michael got a lot of loot. I had to leave a bit early to go to Book Club. We had a smaller group but a really good discussion of the book (The Three Junes). Maybe smaller is better for that type of thing. I think the book had a lot of topics that were possible to talk about too. It seemed like everyone liked the book to one degree or another.

Speaking of books, I finished "True Story". I did like it a lot. I liked the first half better. In that half the author dealt with his own story of being fired from the New York Times and the nature of truth, etc. Particularly interesting at this poitn with the whole James Frey controversy. The last quarter of the book is mostly the trial of the other man for murdering his family. It's fascinating but not quite as compelling. As the man recounted his many, many deceptions and frauds to the author, it did make me feel like whatever problems and difficulties I had, at least I wasn't as fucked up as that guy. I really have no idea how he thought he was going to sort out his life. Just for fun I started reading this book:



If you're not familiar, it's another knitting mystery. This time it's set in Colorado. There are a lot of similarities to the Monica Ferris books. This time it's a niece who is called in from out of town when her aunt is killed. Her aunt didn't own the yarn shop, but she had sold the house the yarn shop is in to the shop owner and still lived in a cottage on the grounds. So, of course, the niece gets to know the regulars at the yarn shop and is drawn into the knitting world while she tries to sort out what happened to her aunt. There's a follow up book out already, so it seems pretty clear that she'll end up learning how to knit and staying on in her aunt's home. I've only just started, but I'm enjoying it so far. There writing seems a little better than the Ferris books. I'm still not that connected to the characters yet, though. There was an odd scene in the knit shop when the main character meets the regulars and they have this whole big discussion about their weight and eating. I guess that's probably what a lot of women talk about when they get together to knit, but it was a little strange.