A Good Yarn

Monday, April 24, 2006

Weekend Update

I spent most of the weekend reading. I had book club yesterday and I was really trying to finish the book before I got there and ALMOST made it. I still have about 50 pages left to read, so I'll wait to talk about it until I finish. I did manage to sneak in a couple of other things over the weekend too.

Saturday night I saw this:



Funny movie! I really enjoyed it. It's about a big tobacco lobbyist played by Aaron Eckhart - it's a role he's perfect for. His only friends are the lobbyists for the alcohol and firearms industries. The call themselves the MOD (merchants of death) squad and debate whose product is deadlier and therefore whose job is hardest. There's stinging satire against the movie industry and Congress and journalism and just about any other target you can think of. However, it's really a controlled and sort of subtle humor - it's not outrageous laughter, but smart, knowing commentary that's funny.



I also did a little knitting. I finished the first side of the Wobbly Circles Tote:



Holy cow! This thing is ginormous!! I though it wasn't going to be as long as I wanted since it was so wide, but it's also really, really long. I could seam up the sides and this bag would become a tunic. Or a dress. I fear I'm going to run out of yarn. We'll see how big it is when it's felted down.

I also finished up the cabled hat:



Project Name: Cricket Hat
Designer: Knitwhits
Pattern Source: Knitwhits Leaflet
Yarn: Alchemy Bamboo
Yarn Source: Yarn Trade
Date Started: 4/15/06
Date Completed: 4/22/06

Comments: I got this yarn in one of the stash swaps - I think the Stash Snob Redistribution Project (SSRP). The gorgeous colors are hard to capture on film. I thought it would be a perfect yarn for the April Project Spectrum project. The bamboo yarn is like a cross between cotton and linen. It has a very nice drape. I had a good amount of yarn left, so I could have made the toddler size instead of the infant size. I think maybe I'll make a roll brim baby hat with black yarn and stripes of this yarn.