A Good Yarn

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Catching Up

Once again I've gone a week without posting. I hate when I do that. It's been busy around Chez Renee and when not busy, stinking hot. Too hot to sit in front of my computer. But it's cooled down to a very nice 79 degrees now, so here I am. I'll have to break this up into a couple of posts so that I don't lose anyone ;-)

Thursday night I went to a fun concert:



I was not a huge INXS fan in the 80s, but I loved the Rockstar: INXS show last summer, so I wanted to check out the new lineup. J.D. was my choice for the band all along, but after seeing them live, I am really convinced they made the right choice. I was a little worried about the cheese factor. J.D. fancies himself a sexy man and what's acceptable on tv may be a little much right in front of me. For the most part, I was amused by his antics. I didn't enjoy his attempt to fornicate with the microphone stand, but other than that, he was just typical rockstar sexiness. His energy matched the band really well and his performance of the old INXS songs was right on - they sounded as good as the originals, but not in a karaoke way. I liked a lot of the new songs, too. I enjoyed the show a lot more than I thought I would and I'm glad I went.

Before the show we went out to dinner at the new Chatterbox Pub in Highland Park. The St. Paul version is divided into two rooms. There's a bar area, with a mirror ball (I love those things!), some videogames, booths, etc. Your typical bar set up. The dining room is decorated like a 1970s basement. There are a bunch of couches and cushy chairs. There are also booths if you just want to sit and eat dinner or play a game or something. Because they have tons of board games that you can check out. They also have several tv sets that you can play old school videogames on. Such a fun place! I figured it would be a perfect place to come back and knit, which I did later in the weekend. I ate both times and both times the food was ok. The first time I had a burger and fries. The burger was really garlicy and the fries were the thin kind - I prefer really potato-y fries. The second time I had the mini sloppy joes and onion rings. The sloppy joes were a bit dry, but I got mine without the coleslaw. The onion rings were just ok. Kind of greasy. So, I'd say it's a great place to hang out, have fun, but probably not my top dining destination.

Friday night I checked out a movie:



I really liked it. I'm a fan of the X Men series, so I guess you can factor that in. I would say it was missing the style of the director of the first two, Bryan Singer, but I really enjoyed the story and the special effects and action were just what you're looking for in a summer film. There's a short scene after the end credits, so if you do see it, make sure to stay to the very end.