A Good Yarn

Monday, February 19, 2007

Knit Out

Thank you to every who sent such fantastic messages about the mitered blanket. It really made my day to get such nice compliments. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the sewing. I really don't mind sewing things together, so it's not that bad. The worst part is just like in quilting - where the color changes meet up. I'm doing mattress stitch, so the two pieces are half a stitch apart - they match up stitch to stitch very nicely until you get to the end and have that one half stitch extra. I'm fudging it though.

I have a ton to blog about - it was a busy weekend with a couple of Oscar contending movies, some knitting, including an FO, and the Knit Out. I think I'll start with that since it'll get stale very quickly.

A few of the women in my Wednesday night knitting group started the day at Jun Bo for Dim Sum. It's Chinese New Year, so it was crazy busy, but we got there early and had a reservation. This restaurant is in the old Chi Chi's restaurant on Nicollet and 494, so it's huge. They serve Dim Sum all the time, not just on weekend mornings, but I'm not sure where it's quite as huge as it was on this Sunday morning. We had an unbelievable assortment of little treats to eat. I got my usual favorites - sesame balls, dumplings, buns. They were all delicious. If you're looking for a place to do dim sum, I'd recommend Jun Bo.

After dim sum, we headed over to the Mall of America for the Knit Out. The event is aimed at spreading the gospel of knit and crochet and I think it did well at that. The Learn to Knit and Learn to Crochet areas both seemed pretty busy. There were booths from the major craft store vendors, with some giveaways. Here's what I got:



Lion Brand was giving out the really big bag. They had color cards for all their yarns, too, which I really liked being able to see in person. I'm thinking about picking up some of the new Cottonease and haven't seen it in person yet. The Boa yarn I got at the Bernat booth and the Michael's booth. By coincidence I got the same color at both places, which is nice because there's plenty for a project. At the Clover booth I got a circular needle - size 15, which I don't use often, but I also don't have many needles that size. I can't remember where I got the two crochet hooks. One is purple, which I love. The other is huge - much bigger than any other hook I have. I got the needle sizer at the same booth as the big crochet hook - I think it may have been the TNNA booth. I also got tons of pattern leaflets. Some of them were cute, some of them a little too "crafty" if you know what I mean. There was a fashion show, narrated by Vicki Howell from Knitty Gritty. That woman is so very tiny. It's always amazing when you see tv/movie folks and realize how thin they are. I'm so glad I don't live in LA. Anyway, the fashion show was interesting. Again, some of the garments were a bit too "crafty", but there were some cute things as well. There were also little demos and authors signing books. Overall, it was a fun little excursion. I wish there had been more comfy seating and areas to just sit and knit. Hopefully we've added a few more knitters to our ranks this weekend, though.