A Good Yarn

Monday, December 13, 2004

Monday, Monday

I have the all too familiar "football hangover" from a terrible game yesterday. My brother and I have been lamenting the fact that we both are so apathetic about this season and so wanting it to just be over. On Saturday I was actually really bummed out that there was a home game on Sunday because I could have used the time at home. When it's June and I'm dying for football, I'll have to remember this feeling.

I decided to rip out the scarf exchange scarf because the gauge was so firm. I thought a little more drapiness would be better, so I started over on a larger needle. I think that works better. I worked on it while watching this movie:



It was a pretty good movie. Peter Sellers was really a jackass. The parts where he was in character in preparing for Pink Panther and Dr. Strangelove were so funny, though, which reminds you of how talented he was.

Saturday night I attended my friend Florence's Hannukah party. It was really fun. I made her family a set of etched glasses with a bottle of sparkling cider, which were well received. They gave me a really cool book about Image Transfer techniques, a super cool keychain with a moose (we often go up to the Lake Superior area and are constantly on the lookout for moose) and this gorgeous ring, which she made for me:



I just love it! I teared up when I opened it. We had seen these rings when we took a bead class together and had talked about getting together and making some. Everytime I went to The Bead Monkey, I saw this ring and tried it on and coveted it. I emailed her a couple of times about making them and she always ignored it, which is very unusual for Florence. Now I know why. As you can see, it looks like I lost one of the pieces already, though. I wonder if it caught on my glove? If I can't find it, I'll make another dangle and repair it. Anyway, it was a really fun night playing dreidel, eating and chatting. When most everyone else had left, we watched the SNL Best of Will Ferrell DVD and had a great laugh.

As I mentioned, I spent most of Sunday at the game. Greg and I went out for breakfast beforehand at Lyon's Pub. Happily there was a free shuttle to the game because it was windy as heck. We actually saw a parked van moving forward due to wind velocity. Not to mention the gigantic speakers on the roof of Metrodome swaying dangerously above us. After the game, I did bake some more cookies:



These are cranberry, white chocolate oats. Every year I try a new recipe and this was it for this year. Not one I'll repeat, probably. They're very cakey cookies and are not very sweet. I like the cranberries and white chocolate, but... My mixer stopped working in the middle of making these, so perhaps they were ruined by my hand mixing - not enough air? I really think they needed more sugar, though.

While watching the Sunday night shows I worked on my Joey Ramone doll. I decided to do the arms and legs in the round so that I didn't have to do those seams on this one. I think it worked out ok: