A Good Yarn

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Summer Returns

Working with teenagers is a challenge sometimes... Monday night I relaxed and finished up the left side of Mariah:



One more side, then I can join them together and start the yoke. I'm seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. Of course, by the time it's done, I won't be able to wear it, because it was over 90 degrees yesterday. Wow. Two weeks ago I was worrying about whether I'd need to turn the furnace on in June. How little did I know....

Rubber Stamping

Last night I took a Hero Arts rubber stamping class at Archiver's. We made 4 different cards using current HA stamps:



Upper left - we learned how to ink a stamp with different colors for a multi-color stamp look. We were using those new chalk ink stamps that I talked about a couple of weeks ago.

Upper right - water color pencils. I learned how to do this technique when I took my first rubberstamping class and bought the supplies. In the mean time, I sort of forgot how to do it, and have never done it again. Now that I remember, I think I'll use this technique more in the future. I think it looks really cool and pretty.

Lower left - We learned how to paint with the chalk ink stamp pad right on the card to make that background square. I kind of like it.

Lower right - obvious I've already done this technique. In the class, we used these foam rubber daubers to apply the chalk ink to the paper and that worked MUCH better than a q-tip. I actually now like these ink pad better than actual chalks and probably won't use my chalks again.

Summer Storms


I've been very envious of everyone's peony pictures in blogland. My peonies weren't opening and weren't opening. Last night after work I was in the back with the dogs and saw a bit of the white, so I figured that they'd probably open today or tomorrow. When I went out there at the end of the night again, they were already open. Amazing! I was all excited to take pictures for my blog this morning. Then we got a hellacious storm last night. It was so loud and electricity went out. Over 90 degrees? Summer thunderstorms? Tornado warnings? Yep, it's summer! As I suspected, when I went out to take pictures this morning, the peony bush was flattened:



Oh well. I cut some of the big flowers off and put them in a vase now that the Lilies of the Valley are dead: