A Good Yarn

Saturday, July 16, 2005

Beads, Beads, Beads

Thursday I got another set of stitch markers from a marker mania buddy, Stephanie:



Aren't they gorgeous? It's hard to tell in the picture, but they have wonderful, sparkly copper on them. I just love them! I need to cast on some new projects for my new markers!!

I had lunch with my brother at Key's so that I could review his new lease - he's moving into a different duplex at the end of the month. I hope, hope, hope that it is much cooler by then. I DO NOT want to help him move in this type of weather.

Thursday night I was signed up for a pearl knotting class at The Bead Monkey with a friend, but she had to go out of town for work. Since I already bought all the supplies, I decided to go ahead with the class and made this pearl necklace:



That stone and bail for the pendant was another selection from Trendsetters. I really liked the knotting technique. It's easy to pick up and set down and is really easy. I'll definitely be doing more of this.

After I got home, I decided to make some stitch markers for my marker mania buddies:



On Friday night I went to Mel's Beauty Bar with a friend. We got a manicure and a martini for just $15 - a great deal! It's a pretty dark, kind of run down place, though. They weren't ready for us when we got there, so we ordered the Tapas Plate, which was just ok. It included a small salad, some olives and nuts, a few slices of cheese and meat. Everything was pretty tasty, but it's not really what I usually consider tapas. The martinis were great and strong. The manicure was a nice, quick one, not a spa type manicure. She shaped the nails, pushed down the cuticles, gave a short massage with an Aveda lotion and then did one base coat, one color coat with OPI polish and then one top coat. Unfortunately, I think some of the lotion was still on my nails, because it chipped later that night and started peeling the next day. It'd be a fun thing to do right after work before going out, though. Afterwards we went out for dinner at Carmelo's, one of my favorite Italian restaurants in St. Paul.