A Good Yarn

Monday, August 01, 2005

Another Week

Friday I went to a matinee with a friend:



This one is strictly for romantic comedy junkies. I didn't hate it, but I would never watch it again. I just thought the dialog was too unrealistic, the situations were too convoluted and the solutions were too pat. Plus, who in the hell believes that Diane Lane and John Cusack are such losers? Diane was absolutely gorgeous and funny and charming. There's no way anyone wouldn't immediately fall in love with her. And John Cusack was some mythical creature who only exists in movies. I've never met anyone who watched Doctor Zhivago over and over and hand crafted boats which he refused to sell unless the buyer was sufficiently pure (how the hell did he live without any income, anyway?) and gave everything to his ex-wife who left him and didn't feel any bitterness toward her, only sadness and regret. Yeah, I know, these are the things that romantic comedies are made of, but this one just didn't have anything slightly different or appealing about it. Except the dogs and of course, I felt like they were using the dogs just to manipulate the audience - these people didn't even own the dogs. They just showed up when it was convenient for the convoluted plot. Hey, it sounds like I hated it. I didn't. My love of romantic comedies and the satisfaction I find in the formula was enough to overcome the rest of the reasons I hated it.

I also spent the weekend helping my brother move. He had a bunch of his buddies there, so it wasn't too rigorous, but it was definitely hard work and too stinking hot. I relaxed afterward with a little beading. I finally figured out how to finish up my turquoise nuggets necklace:



This thing has just been a PITA. At least it's finally done. I also made some more stitch markers for the Stitch Marker Swap: