A Good Yarn

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Ahhhhh....

It's so much fun to vacation, even if it's short! I had a great time in D.C. I won't bore you with too many details. We had a lovely dinner at the hotel restaurant the first night and then sort of just relaxed. On Friday we went to the Ford Theater, where Lincoln was shot. Then we headed to the Holocaust Museum. Once again it was really heart-wrenching and I didn't see everything I wanted to. We headed to an Italian place I had read about near the Capitol, but it had closed and was now a wine bar, but didn't serve food so late in the afternoon. So we just kept walking and ended up at a Thai place. It turned out to be quite delicious and we discovered a nice row of shops where I dropped some cash on some jewelry from an Egyptian designer - one of my downfalls! Since it was getting late in the day, we decided to just check out a few of the monuments:



I do love the reflecting pool! I got to see the Korean War Memorial, which I had never visited before. It was really nice. It was a windy, cold day in Washington and we weren't dressed appropriately, since we thought it was going to be warmer, so we grabbed a taxi and headed back to the hotel. We had dinner at Legal Seafoods and laughed our asses off. Such a fun day and night! I had the best traveling companions!!



Saturday we went to the National Museum of the American Indian. We had heard about the Eastern Market from the Egyptian store the previous day, so we decided to check it out:



We loved it. So much fun jewelry and arts and crafts. If I lived around there I would buy food there all the time. I love the Farmer's Market and it would be great to have it available year round. I only bought one necklace since I'd spent so much the day before. There was an artist there with purses made from book covers and luckily he was busy talking the whole time I was there or else I would have ordered one of his Nancy Drew books and paid way too much. After the Market we headed back to the Mall area to look at a few more government buildings and then had dinner at The Bombay Club - as always, the best naan ever. It was a much nicer day, but we were pretty worn out and I had some monster blisters on my feet, so we headed back to the hotel again. We watched "Walk the Line" on pay per view. I really enjoyed it. The acting was wonderful, but the writing was a bit sketchy. I really thought they oversimplified some things and there was no need to make Vivian Cash such a bitch from beginning to end. Johnny was married to her for years - she must have had some redeeming qualities.

I didn't get much time for knitting over the weekend, but I did finish most of the leg of my second Jaywalker. I also finished "Knit One, Kill Two". I liked it for a nice fun mystery. I could figure out the killer pretty easily, but that also means that it made sense, which isn't always the case in some mysteries. I will definitely keep reading this series. I decided to pick this one up next:



My friend gave it to me right before the controversy broke and I'm still interested in it. So far I'm really liking it. His writing style is really unique and fits the book well.